Good Sam-Continued Service Plan

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I read the posts about service plan and their gamble. Does anyone have any info or experience with the Good Sam CSP? I am thinking about it.

Paul & Nan

We have had good sams csp for a couple of years. Never had to use it. Usually, good sam plans are very good. Had good sam ERS and used it a few times with good results.

cmart

Hey Headhunter, who has the best deal on the service plans. The way my lucks been going, I'll probably need a good plan at a reasonable rate.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Dont just buy any service plan. Check it out. Our RV servicing place in town is very picky on which ones he will take. Most of them has you pay and then you get your service plan to reimburse you. Booo. When I read the one we bought I have found it mostly covers stuff in motor homes. Also alot of the items in the Heartland RV's have their own warranties ie TV, Fridge, water pump, TV amp, TV antenna, etc.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Curtis,
It's research time for you buddy. Get on the internet and do some google searching for an extended warranty. Deals change all the time. In hindsight, the best warranty deals are gotten when you buy the rig, as the dealer has some flexilbility due to his profit margin. I got a $0 deductible, 7 yr deal with Phoenix American for a total of $865 thru my dealer. The biggest secret concern is thus: MAKE SURE that your policy covers all parts replacements. The biggest warranty scam involves having to fix or replace parts that lead up to your real problem. Many policies will not cover those situations, so your real problem gets fixed for free, however, all the other parts that were replaced in order to fix your basic problem are not covered, so you are still hit with a large dollar cost. Does that make sense? Get all moving parts covered except that they won't cover brake misusage and tire problems.

cmart

Extended Warranty

Thanks Larry. This year I've had my axles/frame aligned, put on new michelin ribs, and put on the second A/C. So next year, hopefully I'll be ready to travel. Thanks for the info.

Now that I'm out of warranty, I debate, what would be cheaper on a 5th wheel. Save a little for a problem or get the insurance. I've always felt that if you have a good product you don't need extra insurance, thats why so far I'm barefooting it and just using what warranty is left on some of the appliances.

LilGTO71

Just my .02, but I just traded in our 5er that I had also purchased the Good Sam CSP for. After 3 years of never using and also purchasing a new 2011 Sundance, I called to cancel my GS CSP. I was told I could cancel but would have to pay $50 and since I was at the end of my CSP contract, I would owe $5.02. Or, I could let it expire and not worry about it. Being a lifetime member of Good Sam, I found this a bit irregular.

Like others, we purchased an extended service policy at time of purchase with a $150 deductible that is better than the Good Sam policy for 7 years.

lwmcguir

Read the fine print closely on any extended warranty. Very few if any cover any real problems. Most of the time you are paying ahead for the smaller items. They are not in business to loose money selling you extended policies. If you borrow the money and want to pay it over time then maybe this is the thing to do. If you have the money, save it and pay as you go.