Wardrobe door catches

ChangingPlaces

Hi
We have broken our wardrobe catches several times now. We are now looking for another solution. We are not that hard on them.
Has anyone come up with another idea to replace the catches that will lock the doors when travelling. Look forward to all ideas on this .
Cheers Paul

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Paul
We just keep replacing ours, as well (including the newer black latches). Heartland sent me a few replacements.

However, I saw a Landmark a while back with wood framed mirrored wardrobe doors, instead of the basic metal frame.
I would like to duplicate those the first chance I get. The doors I'm speaking of have a bolt that drops into a hole in the floor, eliminating the flimsy plastic snap latches altogether.
The doors also look really classy, as well. It is essentially a color matched hardwood 1x4 frame that allows you to attach hardware to it. It needs a wider track spacing than the current metal doors I have.

I will post a pic., if I can find one. Trace

Last edited:

Rrloren

I've broken one so far and replaced it with a strip of velcro which seems to work well altho it's only been on for 1 trip so far . When the second one breaks I'll replace it with velcro too.

frumbawa

My Cyclone has a different style latch. I believe they are still plastic but the lever is spring loaded. They are brown instead of clear. I think there was another thread on the forum that has a picture and more details. Give Heartland a call. I'm sure they can tell you give you all the info. you need.

jnbhobe

I've had the black plastic latches for 4yrs and never broke one. The clear plastic flesh eaters were a different story.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you replace with OEM latches be sure to check the door allignment. If the door does not hit center in the catch pocket it will fail.

Peace
Dave

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I've had the black plastic latches for 4yrs and never broke one. The clear plastic flesh eaters were a different story.

John, you have that right about flesh eaters. My arms bear the scars of every encounter I have had with those clips. After it happened three times on each arm, we put the swim noodles, cut in 6 inch pieces, and it seems to work well for us. I had to replace the right clip one time.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm using the Velcro strips. Put one at the top, middle and bottom of the door (mirror) and also corresponding strips on the wood that the clips did attach to. However, the wood is very slick so I am going to staple those on. The velcro is stronger than the glue and pulls the strips the wood off if you're not careful.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have used velco for at least 4 years now and still on the same strips. It works great and does not take alot to keep the doors shut.

ChangingPlaces

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. I have now decided to remove the catches all together and use a velcro strip about 8in, which I placed in the middle of the door.
So we'll see how that goes now.
Thanks for your help
Paul

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I've had the black ones for a couple of seasons now, after a fine gentleman gave them to me while visiting our campground. No problems. We don't latch the doors unless we're moving the rig, so I guess they last longer that way. The OEM clear plastic ones were nasty buggers.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
I've had the black ones for a couple of seasons now, after a fine gentleman gave them to me while visiting our campground. No problems. We don't latch the doors unless we're moving the rig, so I guess they last longer that way. The OEM clear plastic ones were nasty buggers.

Our 2006 Landmark came equipped with the clear plastic ones. They are only locked when we are traveling. We slide the right door left and the left door right when stopped so they don't catch when not needed as they are a bear to open.

They have never broken, BUT I can't begin to count how many nails I have broken getting them open:mad:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's a picture of the Landmark wooden doors with the bolt that drops into the floor. I have only seen one rig in person that had these.
Does anyone on the forum have these and if so, how are they working? Thanks, Trace

Attachments

• Landmark Wood Frame Closet Doors.jpg
    Landmark Wood Frame Closet Doors.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 79

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Most of us do not have wood frame doors. I looked at my metal framed doors and it looks like there is about 1/2 inch to work with. It looks it could work if you could find a latch small enough to fit. Then drill the appropriate size hole in the bottom track.
That said, I have no intention of doing it. No problems with the plastic ones.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have them in our LM Grand Canyon. The only complaint my wife has is that they are dificult to slide the lock in but they are getting better the more we use them.