Awning shade panels

phix

It seems we always end up with the afternoon sun on our patio. The awning doesn't do much in this case, so we are looking at the shade panels that you hang from the awning bar and then stake into the ground. They also have angled ones for side shade. I've found Patty O Shade and Sunblocker by CareFree brands and then there is a no-name brand on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with these? Can you share your thoughts and experiences?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've got a Patty 'o Shade for ours. If it's late afternoon and the sun is low, you'll still get blinded if you face into the sun, but it helps cut down the heat. I've rolled it up into the electric awning without a problem.

jddugan

Try looking at this company http://www.sundancershades.com/

I have one of their awning shades and it is an excellent product. Janice and Pat will make any size you want in a variety of colors, and include a carrying bag. I thought the price was very reasonable for such a high quality product.

cwit

I almost bought one in Fl. this winter. I watched people who did buy them and they only used once or twice. The main reason being the unhooking for a wind.

jbeletti

I have one for my awning and have never used. Still carry it just in case though. Suppose if I was setup for a long period of time, I might deploy it.

Jim

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have sun shades for both of our awnings and use them alot. Unfortunately I can not attach a photo right now cuz where we are camping right now has a slow wifi.

mlburst1

We have a 16' x 8' sun screen that we use all winter in Port Charlotte - makes for a comfortable outside room!
Sundance_031412 (1).jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
EB 08 BC.JPG Yea finally got it. This is a picture of our other Big Country with a side curtain and sun shade. Makes a huge difference when the door faces the morning or evening sun plus give ya some privacy..
Oh - the Big Horn in the background are friends of our from TN. They love the BH 3670.

DMitch

I found one on the internet from a company in Texas. It works great. The neat thing about it is that it slides into the awning tube like normal but about six inches down the awning it has a large zipper. So when you need to take it down you just unzip it and roll up the awning leaving the small piece in the awning tube. Works great and is real good quality. I am sure if you do some google searches you can find it. I just can't find the info on it right now.

SilverRhino

I had looked at the awning shades on line and thought that they were a good idea. One day while looking around at our local Lowe's store......We found shade material that came in a couple of different sizes. My wife picked the color that she liked and we found it in the size we needed and made our purchase. It was much cheaper than the buying one on line and it was very simple to attach awning tabs we purchased from Camping World to allow it to attach to the awning rail.

We attached the same awning tabs with the grommets on the bottom to be able to stake it out. I purchased medium duty springs from a local hardware store to buffer the bottom attachment.

JonV

We bought one this winter while in Florida and wouldn't be without when camped for longer periods of time. It keeps things noticeably cooler on that side, offers privacy and keeps our bikes quite dry during heavy rains.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I'm so glad to find this discussion. Our current site sits east to west so the front side of the rig is super hot in the afternoon. The black awning seems to make it worse. Haven't needed a shade before now, but boy, when you need it, you need it.

I love the idea of rolling it up into the awning!

I could work inside like a normal person, but Hunter finds it plenty cool underneath the trailer. Until I get the shade, I'll just move my stuff around to the back in the afternoon. The things we do to keep our fur babies happy...