Virginia Beachy Rally- Route Planning

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just doing a little prerally planning. It looks like our route will take us from Fredericksburg down 95 to Richmond. Then 64 over to Virginia Beach. Anyone know of any problems with 64 and pulling a trailer.

Also, anyone know of a nice place, for a one night layover, near Richmond. We would like it to be near the interstate if possible. Our work schedule will not allow us to leave untill 3:00 or so, so we should be in the Richmond area around 8:00. By then, the crew will be ready for some zzz's.

It's our first trip to Virginia Beach, Just want to make it an uneventful trip. Thanks for the help. Jamie

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jamie,

Looking forward to seeing y'all. I prefer to cross over the Hampton Roads area on I-664(644?), cuts off I-64 in the Newport News area. It's also a tunnel but ususally less crowded, a little wider, and a little smoother. It'll hook back into a confusing numbering arrangement for I-64 as 64 swings around the Norfork area (I know sounds confusing), but follow your GPS thru there. Do not let it take you onto I-264 through Norfolk however. I can send you a map later with good directions on it if you'll remind me!

We have stayed at the Ashland KOA, at Exit 89, just north of the I-295 loop around Richmond. It's not a "destination" campground, but it's clean, flat, and pretty easy to get in and out of. I would stay there again for an overnight. It's perhaps a mile from the exit down a road that parallels I-95. Let me know if you have any other questions.

JWalker

Jamie,

Looking forward to seeing y'all. I prefer to cross over the Hampton Roads area on I-664(644?), cuts off I-64 in the Newport News area. It's also a tunnel but ususally less crowded, a little wider, and a little smoother. It'll hook back into a confusing numbering arrangement for I-64 as 64 swings around the Norfork area (I know sounds confusing), but follow your GPS thru there. Do not let it take you onto I-264 through Norfolk however. I can send you a map later with good directions on it if you'll remind me!

We have stayed at the Ashland KOA, at Exit 89, just north of the I-295 loop around Richmond. It's not a "destination" campground, but it's clean, flat, and pretty easy to get in and out of. I would stay there again for an overnight. It's perhaps a mile from the exit down a road that parallels I-95. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wow, Gus, Thank you. I was looking at our Next Exit book and found that Campground off of exit 89. It is more reassuring to here it from someone that has actually been there. We will be making a reservation for Thursday and should be in Virginia Beach around lunch time.

After looking at the map, your directions make sense. Smoother, wider and less crowded is always BETTER!! Any tolls or inspection stations around the tunnels? I thought I read somewhere that in some cases they stop and check your propane tanks. I can't remember where I heard this and at 38, my memory is going fast.:p

Thanks for all the help

boatto5er

Wow, Gus, Thank you. I was looking at our Next Exit book and found that Campground off of exit 89. It is more reassuring to here it from someone that has actually been there. We will be making a reservation for Thursday and should be in Virginia Beach around lunch time.

After looking at the map, your directions make sense. Smoother, wider and less crowded is always BETTER!! Any tolls or inspection stations around the tunnels? I thought I read somewhere that in some cases they stop and check your propane tanks. I can't remember where I heard this and at 38, my memory is going fast.:p

Thanks for all the help

There is a propane inspection station just prior to the tunnel AND you have to shut the tanks off. If you are running the refrigerator it won't be an issue. It'll stay plenty cold until you get to the campground in VA Beach and there's not a good spot to stop and restart it anyway. We've driven all the way from the tunnel to Cape Hatteras without a significant change in reefer temp. The nice thing about the "Merrimac" tunnel is that the ramp back into traffic from the inspection station is MUCH easier to negotiate than the entrance back onto I-64 thru the old tunnel. That ramp has traffic entering from the right and then you immediately have to merge into traffic on our left with almost no merge area. It's just plain dangerous. If you've got anymore questions, shoot 'em to me. We're happy to help!

Vtxkid

Agree with Gus. We live in Virginia Beach and the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel can be unpredictable unless your going threw in the middle of the night!
To summarize Gus's route: I-95 to I-295 to I-64 to I-664 to I-64 (don't take I-264 here as it will take you through another tunnel in downtown Norfolk area) then to I-264 east toward Va Bch oceanfront. Best route...

JWalker

Made reservations at the Ashland KOA for the Thursday night lay over. Thanks Gus

Any info on some tours of the Navel ships near by??

Jamie

boatto5er

Made reservations at the Ashland KOA for the Thursday night lay over. Thanks Gus

Any info on some tours of the Navel ships near by??

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I founf the following information:
The Norfolk Naval Base is the largest in the world, making it a
top destination for those interested in maritime defense. While you are not
permitted to tour a working ship, the base offers tours by bus and boat. Those
who want to visit an actual ship can head to Nauticus, located in downtown
Norfolk, to tour the decommissioned Battleship Wisconsin.

[h=2]Bus Tour[/h]Bus tours of the naval base provide an up-close look at a wide
range of ships, from frigates and destroyers to aircraft carriers and amphibious
assault ships. The tour also passes a variety of homes that date to the
Jamestown Exposition of 1907. Tours last approximately 45 minutes and depart
multiple times per day throughout the summer. At least one tour is generally
offered each day during the winter, but tour schedules are subject to change.
Adults must show a valid photo ID. Buses are not handicapped accessible. You are
not permitted to depart the bus during the tour. Naval Tour and Information
Center 9079 Hampton Blvd. Norfolk, VA 23505 757-444-7955
norfolkvisitor.com

[h=2]Victory Rover Cruise[/h]The Victory Rover cruise departs at least twice daily from
Nauticus. This massive museum of naval history is well worth a visit on its own;
combination tickets are available for the museum and the cruise. On the two-hour
cruise, you will pass working ships--including nuclear submarines and guided
missile cruisers--while a narrator explains what you are seeing. A snack bar,
clean restrooms and an open upper deck are available on board. Victory Rover
Cruise One Waterside Dr. Norfolk, Virginia 23510 757-627-7406
navalbasecruises.com

[h=2]Battleship Wisconsin[/h]Originally commissioned in 1944, the Wisconsin was actually
decommissioned and recommissioned twice in its 47-year career. The ship
participated in World War II, the Korean War and Operation Desert Storm. Now
under the care of the City of Norfolk, the Wisconsin is open for public tours.
The ship is docked next to Nauticus; admission is included with museum
admission. A free self-guided audio tour is available. Inside Nauticus you will
find numerous exhibits dedicated to the Wisconsin’s career. Learn the secrets
behind the ship’s design in the highly interactive Design Center: Battleship X.
Discover the history of warships at the Capital Ship exhibit; watch a
large-format film that incorporates archive footage from the Wisconsin’s battles
in USS Wisconsin: The Last Battleship. Nauticus One Waterside Dr. Norfolk,
Virginia 23510 757-664-1000 nauticus.org