Tires on New Sundance 2900MK

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Just took a look to see what tires are on are 08 Sundance . The 4 main tires are Freestar and the spare is a Marathons Hmmmm. What does other have on there new units ??

Last edited:

BJ'sDad

I just put a down payment on a 3012RE in Adamstown last Friday and the tires were the first thing I looked at. They were all Goodyear Marathons.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, all the Sundances they had on their lot were shod with Marathons.

fishn2dmax

We ordered a 3012RE with the upgraded 6K axles and 16" tires - It arrived yesterday at the dealer. To my deep disappointment, it had mission tires all around. The other Sundance trailers that also just arrived with 15" tires where a mix of freestar and Marathons. All 16" tires were Mission.

RugRat

Check the sides of your Goodyear's. I have heard that some of the Marathonns are made in China and some are made here.

BJ'sDad

Unfortunately I didn't order this one, so it has the standard axles and 15 inch wheels (that was about the only option this trailer didn't have that I would have ordered), but since I don't put on as many miles as most people, I don't think that will be an issue.

When it comes down to the Chinese made Goodyears versus some of the other brands of tires that are on the market, I'd rather take my chances with the Chinese made Goodyears.

C

Chulinw

Sundance Kid, You should go over to rv.net and do a search on the Mission tires and read about the post. Lots of people beside Heartland owners have had trouble with the Mission tires. Just read and then make up your mind. Good luck.

Sundance_kid

Chulinw, I think you would have to agree, that if no one has a problem they generally don't post it. On the other hand if something ticks you off you can't write enough bad about it. JMHO
;)

fishn2dmax

Anyone heard of "unicorn" tires???? At the very last minute ( minutes before taking delivery of our ordered 3012RE) we decided we liked the 2900MK better - much shorter length. The 3012RE is a very nice floor plan, but it ended up measuring almost 34' long ( spec is 32'-10")? We had an awesome dealer that was more than happy to keep the 3012RE we ordered and move us into the a 2900MK that had just arrived along with our ordered 3012RE.

My concern is the 16" load range E tires on the 2900MK are "unicorn" brand. I've never heard of this brand before and I can't find anything else on the tire to give me a clue as to whom made this tire? Unless I'm totally blind (which could be) I don't see anything on the tire indicating country of manufacturing like I see on other tires? I'm assuming these may be yet another chinese make with a new marketing label "unicorn". When comparing them to the Missions, they do have a different look and tread?

We have our fingers crossed as we have a trip across Nevada and Southern Utah today. Air temps are 110 and Road temps down here can get over 125 degrees this time of year. I'll let you know how these "unicorns" hold up.

Last edited:

Forrest Fetherolf

This was my prior post regarding tire markings................

The Trail America tire that exploded a couple of days ago was manufactured by Tianjin Kings Glory Tire Co. in Yang Liu Qing, TianJin, China and was 2 years old.
The DOT Marking on the tire was DOT 1NOR 2105. The 1N is the manufacturer and location. 2105 is the week (21st) and year (2005)manufactured.

//heartlandowners.org/images/attach/doc.gifTire Sidewall Markings.doc (86.0 KB, 17 views)

You can go online to find the Dot codes for the tire Mgf's.

Forrest

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Forrest, when I click on the link that shows all manufacturers, I get an "unspecified error" on Internet Explorer. Do you get the same results?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Forrest, the links on this post did work. Thanks.

However, I can't find 1N on either list. The second one has no codes that begin with a number. Is this list compiled from manufacturers that have had tire recalls only? I hope not as Goodyear and Michelin are on the list.

The reason I was curious is that my son recently bought a boat and trailer and the trailer came with Trail America tires (white lettered at that). Its DOT starts out with AA which I found on the second list, but not on the first.

Forrest Fetherolf

cdb,

I did a search and found the list with my trail america 1N code. It is a longer list than the previous site I gave you.

http://www.harriger.com/tire1.htm

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]1N[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]TIANJIN KINGS GLORY TIRE CO., LTD[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]YANG LIU QING[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]TIANJIN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]CHINA[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]AA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]TIANJIN NORMANDY RUBBER CO., LTD.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]QIAO SAN DAO[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]TIANJIN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]CHINA[/SIZE]

Your son may be riding on China Bombs also.

Forrest