NADA values too high!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We resently moved from Texas to Idaho and registered our vehicles and our 2009 Sundance XLT 5th wheel.
The DMV determined value of the Sundance at $22,000 by the low NADA book value, but how can that be? We have a bill of sale for the brand new rig at $21,000. Idaho makes you pay the license sticker fee determined by each 1,000 dollars of value. This seems very unfair. Has anyone else had this issue come up?

Speedy

It's unfair but the only way to change it is vote the bums in office out. They are the ones that made the law. I don't think it is fair to pay for plates/tags for only five months of use or the hour that it's on state roads as I leave the state.

wdk450

We resently moved from Texas to Idaho and registered our vehicles and our 2009 Sundance XLT 5th wheel.
The DMV determined value of the Sundance at $22,000 by the low NADA book value, but how can that be? We have a bill of sale for the brand new rig at $21,000. Idaho makes you pay the license sticker fee determined by each 1,000 dollars of value. This seems very unfair. Has anyone else had this issue come up?

What's the difference in the license fee the $1000 price difference makes? Is this a fight worth fighting??
I personally think they should honor the sales contract price. Do they license cars at MSRP or sale price??

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What's the difference in the license fee the $1000 price difference makes? Is this a fight worth fighting??
I personally think they should honor the sales contract price. Do they license cars at MSRP or sale price??

It's $9 per $1000 of value....so the fee was $198. So a newer Bighorn with a $67,000 value will cost me $603 for the sticker. In Tx. the fee was $67 no matter what towable RV you have.

PUG

Pug
Being an X County Assessor in Idaho (handle licensing) if you had shown them the bill of sale I am sure they would honor it. You can always say it isn't in that good of shape and they may lower the value. The State Legislature and tax commission set the laws and regulations. Not the Assessor. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you.

fawsty

I can only WISH to pay those fees in California....My Bighorn and truck are both newer, and as such it costs a lot each year. Then every time the budget takes a hit for the little pet projects and people standing at the mail box every month on the 1st, they raise these fees, again, to help. I know, I know...sucks to be me....

Steven

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Move to PA, I was told that the Tags only cost $12. and it is not based on Value. unless we are talking about the Taxes that are assessed annually. In Mass it costs $50 to re-register my Cyclone every year.

Kevin

Birchwood

In New Brunswick Canada the vehicle bill of sale is only good if its a registered dealer otherwise they use the book or in your case the Nada value.
You should be pleased that the values are so close together but if a registered dealer sold it to you for $21000 that is what your liscense should
be based on.

jnbhobe

Move to PA, I was told that the Tags only cost $12. and it is not based on Value. unless we are talking about the Taxes that are assessed annually. In Mass it costs $50 to re-register my Cyclone every year.

Hey Kevin; Here is a better one, in Pa we pay 6% sales tax at the time of purchase and if the GVW is over 10,001 lbs you can buy a permanent license plate for $125.00. I think trailers with a 10K gvw are around $36.00 per year.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Hey Kevin; Here is a better one, in Pa we pay 6% sales tax at the time of purchase and if the GVW is over 10,001 lbs you can buy a permanent license plate for $125.00. I think trailers with a 10K gvw are around $36.00 per year.

Similar here in VA on the Permanent plate, Jon. Would someone remind me of WHY I haven't done that yet? (kicking myself again)

kb0zke

Poor NADA just can't win! On some other forums (not Heartland brands) owners are complaining that NADA values are 1/3 to 1/2 of actual values. I guess it depends on whether you are writing the check or cashing it.

pegmikef

It's gone up in Texas. Just paid ours for another year, $123.50.

Erika

Wow, Erika they must have just increased it because I registered mine for 2012 in November and it was $67.50. I wonder if it goes by weight like it does for pickups (truck weight plus carrying capacity) because our North Trail is a little less than 9000 pounds.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Wow, Erika they must have just increased it because I registered mine for 2012 in November and it was $67.50. I wonder if it goes by weight like it does for pickups (truck weight plus carrying capacity) because our North Trail is a little less than 9000 pounds.

Erica and Mike... Starting this year it is by weight like pick ups. Not sure where the weight breaks are but out 21fbs (7,000 pounds) was also $67.50.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steven, go buy a small piece of dirt in Montana. We own 2 pieces of dirt and register our stuff their. They don't care if there is a building on it or not. The registration fee's are 1/2 of California for the TV and the BH is is a 1 time pay only permanete plate. BTW, the property taxes on our bare land is $100.00 a year for 21 acres. GO FIGURE