Swingaway Storage Cabinet

T42

The plastic "catch" hinges (a type of hard plastic ring) on the swingaway storage cabinet in our 3670 RL are not keeping the cabinet (at the end of the sink counter) closed while travelling. When we arrive at our destination I find the cabinet open and contents on the floor. The plastic ring sets in a metal holder attached to the cabinet (there are 2 -- 1 at the top of the cabinet and one at the bottom) and, apparently, they have stretched. Any ideas and/or suggestions on how to address this problem? Thank you!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some people have added a different type latch. There are several different styles to choose from. Check some out at a store like Home Depot.
I have a chunk of dense closed cell foam that I roll up and jam under the cabinet. Works well for me.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I put a small screw in the trim wood to the rear of the cabinet door, and use a mini bungee on this to the cabinet knob when traveling. I do this because I keep soft drinks and water bottles in this cabinet, and their weight seems to override any latch.

I use mini bungees on cabinet doors all over when travelling, mainly to prevent cabinet doors being open when slides move, and causing damage.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Bungees here too. Not real scientific, or pretty (but who sees them when you're on the road?), but they work.

Wharton

WE use pony tail holders on the cabinet doors, works very well and for the barrel cabinet we put on a window lock. We also keep our soda etc(heavy stuff) in that cabinet.

Wolfpackers

In looking at those cabinets, I've wondered why they don't attach the shelves to the island and have just the door attached to the hinges. It would be less weight on the hinges and with a lip on the shelf, items wouldn't tend to try and open the door during travel.

Westwind

We have tried to keep light storage in the Swingaway Storage Cabinets, boxes of plastic bags, aluminum wrap, plastic knives, Forks, Napkins etc and other items that you have in the kitchen that don't weigh much. It's worked. So far we haven't had any problems with the doors opening up.