No dogs left unattended?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
DH and I were checking out RV parks in Vermont and I keep seeing "pets are welcome but cannot be left unattended on your site."

What does that generally mean? They can't be left in the RV while we run out to dinner? Obviously I could call and get clarification for each park but I thought I'd see what your experience is.

MTPockets

I've seen these signs before and think it's a way for the park and other guests to deter irresponsible dog owners from tying the dog up or put them in a wire enclosure, leave them inside, and have barking dogs anoying others; or, letting the dog roam. If the dog owner leaves it inside while gone, and the dog stays quiet, I doubt it would ever be a problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with MTPockets, it's a pretty common rule. The park we're in now has a max 40# pet rule. When I made our reservation, I asked about this and they allowed Suzi in without question. I get there approval in writing (E-mail) just to be on the safe side. When we arrived I found that there were several large dogs. The rule is mainly for aggressive breeds. LOL Some of them little doggies can be more aggressive and bark more than the Big Dog. :rolleyes:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Our experience is the same. We traveled with Bear until he passed. 120+ lb Great Pyrenees. We always checked and never once was turned down for him staying at a park. We would tie him out of a morning and evening only if we were at the rv and if he barked I scolded him. Never were we turned away because of him in fact everyone loved Bear.

This was him in the floor of the 5er after shoulder surgery at the OSU Vet school.

IMG_0452.jpg

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
That's what I was thinking MTPockets. My dog is very specific in his barks. Perhaps it's only something a watch dog-guardian would understand. :) If he sounds "annoying" it means there's someone on the porch. Otherwise he just sleeps or wants cuddles.

Its sad that parks have to post this and make people like me feel unwanted... Even worse is when they go on and on about how pet friendly they are.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Thanks for chiming in, Ray. How big is Suzi? Our Hunter is a 100 Golden Retriver. Made entirely out of brown sugar, we say. And yes, I'm far more scared of small dogs than large. I find large dogs are calmer too. :)

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Thanks, Hastey. What a sweetie that Bear must have been.

Im afraid I googled this question and found a message board that made me want to give up the idea of RVing, all together.

Its nice to hear from the Heartland community. I don't expect everyone to love my dog (although I've actually never met anyone who doesn't) but the point of the RV is to take the pets. And if we're full timing... That means they're coming along. They love to travel.

I think it boils down to two things: annoying, barking dogs and immpolite guardians. Since our tests indicate Hunter doesn't fall into that category (wait, you don't sit outside and see if your dog barks nonstop? :)) and I try my hardest not to fit into the other category... I'm hoping we'll be okay.

On a related topic, has anyone tried that temperature detector fan? If it gets too hot in the unit, the fan turns on. We'll also be getting a wireless temperature gauge so we can check in at all times. What can I say? Other people worry about sports, I worry about my pets. :)

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
The fan you refer to is a "Fantastic" fan. You turn it on and set the thermostat to the desired temp. If the temp. reaches that level, the fan comes on. We keep our dog in the RV when we go out and he barks for a minute or two and then he's OK.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I bet he's just checking to make sure you really meant to leave him. :) Our Hunter stands by the door so we have to make eye contact before departure. Lol

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's the pet policy at the campground we stay at:

PETS - We like pets, too, but they must be kept quiet (no barking), kept on a lease at all times, exercised only in the designated areas and owner must carry a plastic bag to clean up after the pet, do not leave the pet unattended, NO pets allowed in any building. There will be a $15 fee for cleaning up after your pet.

We don't have dogs, just two cats. IMHO, the barking part is for those who have dogs that are outside and bark at all things, real or imagined. Or charge, even if restrained, at anyone walking by. And yes, I like dogs.

In regards to the Fantastic Fan, we have one and set it to a comfortable temperature. When we leave the cats alone, we leave some windows partially open and the fan set. Seems to work quite well. If it's really warm, the AC is on.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I bet he's just checking to make sure you really meant to leave him. :) Our Hunter stands by the door so we have to make eye contact before departure. Lol

That may be the case. He doesn't like being left behind but adjusts fairly quickly. We bought an RV primarily so we could take him with us. If we couldn't leave him in the RV when we go out, we would probably have to sell the RV and stay at home. He is really my wife's dog and although I know she loves me, I'm not sure who is really #1 on the totem pole. :confused:

Crumgater

When we adopted a new dog into the family, he had barking issues here at the house. We got the PetSafe Bark Control device (ultrasonic bark stopper), and it definitely helped. We also worked on him with other training tools, so other than the UPS or mailman, he was pretty good... but when we went camping, we put the Bark Controller in the RV, just in case. We never did have to use it. As long as we closed up the shades, he didn't have anything to bark at.

One recommendation I heard, was to make friends with your neighbors at the campground, and if you want to leave your dogs (or any pets) in the RV while you go out to dinner or shopping, give your neighbors your cell phone number. A little courtesy goes a long way. It also gives me some peace of mind that someone knows our fur-kids are in there, in case of an emergency.
-T

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
That may be the case. He doesn't like being left behind but adjusts fairly quickly. We bought an RV primarily so we could take him with us. If we couldn't leave him in the RV when we go out, we would probably have to sell the RV and stay at home. He is really my wife's dog and although I know she loves me, I'm not sure who is really #1 on the totem pole. :confused:
LOL. We're looking to buy an RV for the same reason, really. He goes most places with us anyway. I can't remember the last time we ate in at a fast food place. We zip through drive through and head to the park.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
When we adopted a new dog into the family, he had barking issues here at the house. We got the PetSafe Bark Control device (ultrasonic bark stopper), and it definitely helped. We also worked on him with other training tools, so other than the UPS or mailman, he was pretty good... but when we went camping, we put the Bark Controller in the RV, just in case. We never did have to use it. As long as we closed up the shades, he didn't have anything to bark at.

One recommendation I heard, was to make friends with your neighbors at the campground, and if you want to leave your dogs (or any pets) in the RV while you go out to dinner or shopping, give your neighbors your cell phone number. A little courtesy goes a long way. It also gives me some peace of mind that someone knows our fur-kids are in there, in case of an emergency.
-T

Glad to see the recommendation on the bark control device. Will recommend to the pup-parents who need it. I can count on one hand the number of times a day Hunter barks. To me pups are like kids, always in training. :)

I like your idea of making friends with the neighbors and giving them our number. We want to make sure everyone has a pleasant rv experience. Part of us having a pleasant experience is taking the furbabies. We also plan to get a "pets on board" sticker, along with internal and external cameras that will be hooked to our cell phones. The one we're looking at has audio so we could hear barking (or meowing for that matter) even if we couldnt see him. Poor critters will have no privacy. lol

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Here's the pet policy at the campground we stay at:

PETS - We like pets, too, but they must be kept quiet (no barking), kept on a lease at all times, exercised only in the designated areas and owner must carry a plastic bag to clean up after the pet, do not leave the pet unattended, NO pets allowed in any building. There will be a $15 fee for cleaning up after your pet.

We don't have dogs, just two cats. IMHO, the barking part is for those who have dogs that are outside and bark at all things, real or imagined. Or charge, even if restrained, at anyone walking by. And yes, I like dogs.

In regards to the Fantastic Fan, we have one and set it to a comfortable temperature. When we leave the cats alone, we leave some windows partially open and the fan set. Seems to work quite well. If it's really warm, the AC is on.

Yes, the charging can be an issue. I usually notice it with smaller dogs. Our dog really doesn't care one way or the other about other folks or dogs. He's really friendly, wags and smiles at them, but 3 seconds later he's forgotten them and is back to sniffing. He always seems puzzled when other dogs pass us barking, snarling, and bolting. I'd be embarrassed if my dog acted like that. I don't mind however when it's obvious that the dog is in a training session and his being on the trail is part of his socialization. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Do your cats like to travel? Ours do. Way more than we thought they would. They don't like the big bad outside world and are happiest in a "sunspot." Sunspots in an rv are plentiful, lucky for us.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
...Do your cats like to travel? Ours do. Way more than we thought they would. They don't like the big bad outside world and are happiest in a "sunspot." Sunspots in an rv are plentiful, lucky for us.

We haven't really pulled our rig anywhere other than to our seasonal site. We'll take it up, set-up and come home after a few days. We leave the cats at home for that. Then we commute for two week (or more) stays and bring the furballs with us in their carriers. They whine a little but usually settle down after a bit. It's a three hour drive but they seem to handle it just fine. While there, they both find their favorite spots. When it's time to bring the rig home, we leave them behind for our last trip.

porthole

Retired
DH and I were checking out RV parks in Vermont and I keep seeing "pets are welcome but cannot be left unattended on your site."

What does that generally mean? They can't be left in the RV while we run out to dinner? Obviously I could call and get clarification for each park but I thought I'd see what your experience is.

Sometimes I think the "don't ask the question you may not like the answer to" approach is the way to go.
A suggestion is to keep a copy of your current rabies cert with you when traveling.

Do our dogs like to travel"
You tell me.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Sometimes I think the "don't ask the question you may not like the answer to" approach is the way to go.
A suggestion is to keep a copy of your current rabies cert with you when traveling.

Do our dogs like to travel"
You tell me.

I could watch this all day. Brought such a smile to my face. Sure do love Goldens!

FordMan1966

Bark collars work well on our 2 Dachshunds that get mad when we leave them in there creates while we are out of the camper.