Preferences on a surge protector

jhardin

What are preferences on a surge protector, hardwired or portable? Also, what brand do you have? After reading the surge protection thread, I am defiantly going to buy one (50amp)!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've got the hardwired Progressive EMS-HW50C, with remote display. I preferred the hardwired version simply because it would be one less thing to set up and it's not likely to grow feet if we're away from the rig for extended periods. We leave the rig on a seasonal site all summer with the power on, even when we're gone for several days.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the SurgeGuard plug-in model at the pedestal. We also have the plastic housing with a padlock that's supposed to protect it from theft, but as pointed out, if someone really wants it, they can take your entire cord.

Sometimes the pedestals are short, and it occasionally hangs funny. It's exposed to weather as well, but I am sure it's designed to handle it.

So far it's protected us well, (had it almost 2 years), so we like it. Won't plug in without it!

P.S. We have only had 1 spike trip it, but have had a low voltage scenario... The campground was full, and lots running AC. When we tried to run our second AC, the SurgeGuard would trip. So, we ran one, or the other, and were fine. Next campground, no issues, so I knew it wasn't the rig.

Last edited:

brianharrison

Progressive Industries 50 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW50C - allows for a bypass if running a generator with floating neutral (my Honda EU3000i).

Brian

GOTTOYS

Progressive plug in model here. Compared the specs between progressive and Surge Guard. Progressive was way better for about the same money. Their plug in model has a tab on it that you can use with a short chain and padlock around the pedestal for security. Just didn't want to crawl around in the basement to wire up the other model...Don

noobee

SurgeGuard 50 Plug-in for 4.5 years & had a 30 Plug-in for 3 years on my previous rig. Use a couple of chains & pad locks for security. Found that the hasp I used on the 30 unit was not very user friendly.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Surge Guard, Portable. Did not want a hardwired model for several reasons. Also, got a it for a great deal on sale. Saved a lot of $$$

Gizzy

We use the Progressive hard wire, saved us a few times this past summer during 8000 mile trip. Like the convenience of less to mess with when setting up. Great product.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Ken, Thanks for the link just ordered one they have the best price I've seen.

They had the best price when I was looking , thats the reason I put that link on. It was the 1st purchase from them and they screwed my order up. They have 2 warehouses they ship from , surge protectors where on back order and was to ship from which ever one got them in first. Well , both warehouses thought the other one shipped it ,so had to call them when I didn't get it. I would have to say they where very sorry about the mishap, they shipped it overnight and didn't charge me shipping ,so wound up a better deal. I would buy from them again,and there customer ratings are high , so I figure a one time glitch.........Kenny

Last edited:

brianharrison

I also bought from RVUpgrades - good vendor for me; quick shipping. And they ask for feedback after purcahse via email. I like that.

Brian

Jimmy

Is this one no good??
215RYS24lsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge

by Progressive Industries
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews) | Like (1)

$109.13 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Progressive Industries EMS-50 portable. That way I can take it with me from rig to rig.

brianharrison

@Jimmy -- Yup - that's OK however it is only surge protection - there is no power management. The other ones have both surge and power management,

jhardin

“Thanks”, to everyone for your responses! Seems Progressive is the most popular. Also, “Thank you Ken”, for posting the link in which you ordered yours. Rvupgrades.com seems to have the best price. I ordered a Progressive Industries EMS-50 portable. I also ordered the Progressive Industries Cheater Box.