Dometic 4 door cooling issues- shut the door

We, like most, have had trouble keeping our Dometic 1350 within proper cooling ranges, especially in warm weather. We had additional baffles and fans added to the exterior, and that helped. But we have determined that we need to vigilantly assess the proper alignment and function of the doors and seals. Your doors may need adjustment. We find this to be true for us at least twice a season (we snowbird).

DW says she can hear a definite difference when the doors are aligned correctly. She hears the doors "snap" closed. Check your doors!

The issue we have discovered and remedied is the flap attached to the left fridge door not closing completely against the right door seal. To visually verify this is happening on your fridge, open both fridge doors and close only the left door. Is the flap fully against the stop in the black plastic guide mounted at the bottom center of the fridge opening? If you gently pull the flap toward you, does it move further? We found the left door "settles" during regular fridge use and over-the-road transport. When this happens, the flap tends to start scraping against the plastic guide and does not swing fully closed.

If the flap in your fridge is not closing completely, you need to raise the left door with the adjustment screw that is mounted in the center of the bottom hinges (on both fridge doors). Lay down on the floor and while applying upward pressure to the bottom of the left door, adjust the set screw clockwise. Rotate it a couple of turns. Then check the flap for free movement. Continue raising the door with the set screw until the flap swings freely.

We have learned to check this as soon as we notice the temp goes out of range and stays there. Nrmal use, adding food, hot outdoor temps, all have an effect, but it eventually cools back down, but not if the door needs adjustment. As mentioned earlier, you'll know when you have the right adjustment when you close the left door and the flap "slaps" the right door seal.

Thank you so much. I just had my unit to the dealer for this problem. He replaced the Gasket. I read your post and got up and checked my Refrigerator and sure enough there it was just like you said, it was sticking. Too late tonight to fix it but I manualy moved it and the temp droped 8 degrees in 1 1/2 hours. Will fix it permenatly tomorrow. If I see you on the road I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Fred & Linda, Thanks for the info. I'm sure this will help a lot of folks. It's been a while since we've seen you and I hope all is well with you guys. Take Care!

danemayer

One of our friends had this exact problem. His freezer was really cold, but the refrigerator was really warm (50ish). He also had ice build-up on the cooling fins in the refrigerator compartment. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Turned out it was the flap getting stuck.

readytohitheroad

New to the forum as the wifey and I decide what to purchase. Many issues with Dometic fridges noted. Is there no other option for this appliance???