Flexible wire and hose guide

Pulltab

Has anyone else ever looked under the slide to inspect things? Here is what I have found and our unit is less than a month old.

The flexible guide is broken at the frame, looks like they bent it so much it just broke. There is an 1/8 of an inch still holding it together. I am thinking of fixing this by bolting a hinge to the frame and then attach the other side to the flexible piece.

The bracket that the hydraulic ram attaches to is looking pretty (flimsy) for lack of a better word. The mechanical advantage of the bracket seems a little excessive. The bracket is attached to a channel screwed to the bottom of the slide. When you look down the side of the slide you can see the bracket is bulging out from being pushed by the ram. The other side of the slide does not look like this. It has actually pushed far enough to have put a small ding in the sheet metal of the slide. I can see this possibly being an issue in the future so I hope this comes under Lipperts 5 year slide warranty.

We took our unit in today to have the springs checked as it leans to one side which happens to be the slide side (ours has 2 slides on one side, none on the other). The tech says it is out only 3/4" but seems odd I have to pull it up onto a 2x4 to level it on a level floor. I was told that 3/4" is within Heartland specs of 1", so I guess this one will be up to me to fix. I had them weigh the rig on both sides and the slide side is 540 lbs heavier. I suppose I can move up to 3300 lb springs on that side to correct it. I guess when I look at it in perspective it only matters in a perfect world as it is not often I ever get a level spot in a campground. :)

Just a heads up on some things to take a look at. :)

Last edited:

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Hi Pulltab
I have had 2 of the flexible bands break. Heartland repaired under warrenty, no problem. As for the hydraulic rams I will have to look next time they are out.
Good luck
Rand

fhollan

Flex Belt Problem

I had the same thing happen on mine. Also found that it broke at the frame. Looking at the other end, which is attached to a rod, it seemed since the rod was somewhat bent inward, the belt might have been stretched a bit, not leaving much slack. I did place a 3 1/2 hinge on the frame, which gave it some slack and lasted for about a month. While in the U.P of MI last week and making a pit stop, noticed that it broke again. The problem was that the hinge cause a second curve, much tighter while the slide was in, not leaving much room due to the slide-bar, causing it to break at that point. So now I've got it temporarily "fixed" with duct tape, while my dealer has one on order.

He said they are the same size. So I sent him the attachment of a possible fix and see if he can order that also. You might click on this.

Link to LIP Sheet 028

Admin: Link fixed. Jim

jbeletti

Pulltab,

Take a look at some comments in this thread. The link to the LIP sheet is in post 9 at that thread.

Jim

ChopperBill

Had one of mine break also. Just as I was picking it up from the dealer after a warranty trip. An on going problem since I have been visiting this forum. They patched it up on the spot by adding some extra length to the plastic. I put a hinge on the other side for safety sake. While on an outing with some friends of ours I looked under their Jayco and Sunnybrook to see how theirs was holding up. Can you imagine they actually had a STEEL channel iron with STEEL hinges supporting their wiring!

Pulltab

You know you are right Chopper Bill, our Fleetwood had the same thing. They had a thin metal c channel hinged in the middle. I might have to rethink the fix beings a couple of you have tried the hinge deal and not had any success. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Had the same problem as above, contacted Lippert direct for the heartland lippert flex-guard field fix (lip sheet - 0028) they sent them to me for no charge. Install them and problem fixed.

Pulltab

Jim Beletti said:
Pulltab,

Take a look at some comments in this thread. The link to the LIP sheet is in post 9 at that thread.

Jim
Thanks for the link Jim, but I could not get it to load up. It says "Wrong number of arguments for a setcolor operator" .:confused:

Heck if I am going to be an Operator, I want a raise! :)

jbeletti

Pulltab,

Your thanks is pay enough for me. Make that call per my latest email and circle back to the forum with what you learn. Let them know your plan is to post your learnings form them if any. Thanks,

Jim

Pulltab

I made the call Jim but got an answering service. I left my name and that I wanted to talk to Matt. Hopefully they will call back. I will post what I hear. Thanks for the number!:)

Pulltab

Jim, I have tried calling them every day since you gave me the number and have left messages but no return call and an answer service always picks up. So I don't have anything to report to you. :(

jbeletti

Pulltab,

Thanks for the update on this. Please stand down on it at this time.

When I suggested via personal email to you that you give them a call to gain some insight on this matter, what I did not know is what their workload was. I now understand that they are swamped with business on their lot.

So please accept my apology for turning you onto a potential resource that turned out to be too busy "at this time", to return your call.

Perhaps you'll get a surprise call but for now - time to relax.

Thanks,

Jim

Pulltab

No problem Jim, I appreciate the info. I can remedy the situation on my own without any worries. I needed something to do this weekend anyways with the rain.:)

Uncle Rog

Hey guys, my flex guards are a mess. I have one that rubs on a tire and the others need to be, I guess, cable tied to their designated conduit pairing before I can go anywhere. It's been too hot to mess with stuff in the afternoons. I will probably start to clean them up early AM's this weekend. I have been looking for an alternative system to no avail.....

Blessed

I also had one of my flex guards tear off at the frame. At the Rally they repaired it by attaching farther rearward on the frame to give it some slack. I will let you know how it holds up.