Severe weather

tmcran

Now that spring is here, so is sever weather. Wonder what yawl do when RVing in bad weather. DW is not a happy camper in thunderstorms and sever weather warnings. We have to scout the area where we are staying in to find a structure that is certainly more secure than our RV. This is related I'm sure to being in the Nashville flood and very near some tornado's that same year. Most of the structures at the parks are not all that substantial. However, it would appear almost anything is better than staying in the RV. Seen the results of that this last week.Thoughts?

Rrloren

Re: Sever weather

We've been caught once in Iowa and once in So. Dakota,while on the same trip, when the sky got real black and the sirens were blowing , pretty intense. When we had checked in, the office told us to gather there if we wanted to since the building was built from concrete block. Don't know what else you can do since the storms come in pretty fast and your in unfamiliar territory, perhaps a little praying will help.

Here's a picture taken while the sirens were wailing in Mitchell, S D.

DSC00020.jpg

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

It's everywhere.

For the 3rd time in a month NOAA is predicting 85+ MPH winds for the desert area we are in here in SoCal tomorrow. (Gusts were clocked at 96MPH a month ago)

It happened at least 4 times last year. These winds come out of the West and hit us broadside. The last one felt like it was going to tip the BH over several times.I don't know what it would take to flip one of these rigs, but I hope I don't find out. (Several in another part of town did flip.)

Due to our park being full, I can not move to head into it. I'm filling all my tanks, pulling my slides in and like someone said, saying a little prayer. Trace

Last edited:

olcoon

Reminds me of a camp out back in my days as a Boy Scout leader. We were in S. Missouri Ozarks in tents. High winds & tornado warnings almost all night. It was bad enough being out there with a bunch of boys scared of the storm, but the worst part was a few of the "adult" leaders totally freaked out, and disappeared! Good thing was that everything turned out fine, we got re-grouped with the missing "adult" leaders, no one was hurt & the tents & equipment didn't get blown away. We did spend several hours in the campground Laundromat though.

tmcran

It seems all of us have dealt with these issues.I suppose we will keep scouting for places where we camp. It gives my wife some comfort knowing there is a pre-planned place to go . She keeps all her valuables , meds, and important info in a small bag that she can grab on a moments notice. Perhaps I should do that as well.:)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

A few years ago we were in our Popup camper when a tornado came through the campground. It picked up the popup with us in it and moved us about 4 feet and then set us down. All the fifth wheels, motor homes and some condos were flipped over and damaged and it shut down the Davis Bessie Nuclear Power Plant next to us. A very scary time but after saying many prayers we survived it. We had no warning of the impending storm except the greenish dark sky. It was crazy watching the tornado come right at us and then through the popup.