2nd time around

MountainTop

After totaling our MPG 181 at the end of our first big trip, we needed a little time to consider whether or not to "get back on the horse." This past weekend we took the leap and bought ourselves another 2011 MPG for a very reasonable price.. This time it's a 183 with bunks and a dinette/bed arrangement. Though we don't need the bunks for sleeping, we figure that will be a good place to store our duffle bags and some other things that we had to keep in our tow vehicle before. Now we have to get busy reinstalling the various hooks, pockets and other gizmos that made the 181 a little more comfortable and convenient.

Some of the changes we're considering are a window in the door to let in more light on that end of the unit and hinging the upper bunk if we can figure out how. Also want to make a storage area at the bottom of the entertainment unit more useful and may do the same where the TV should go (we don't plan on adding one just now - when we camp it's not for the purpose of sitting in the woods watching TV). And with a little modification, we think we can still use the countertop extension we just finished making before our big crash.

Time to get busy before camping season is in full swing!

Peteandsharon

Atta Boy! Glad to see that you are back in the saddle. I understand completely how a major accident on your first trip could give you pause but accidents can happen anytime. No reason to believe it will ever happen again so get back in and enjoy.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hope you have better luck this time around.
Did you buy a truck, or are you still going to tow it with the Honda?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome back! It sounds like you're gonna have fun making the new one "your own". Have fun and let us see some of the handy work.

MountainTop

Hope you have better luck this time around.
Did you buy a truck, or are you still going to tow it with the Honda?

We'll still be using the Honda Pilot. We've done beaucoup research, talked with Honda, etc. and are confident that it's up to the task. However, when we read all the info that came with our new Equalizer hitch (replacement for the one damaged in the wreck), we learned some things the dealer never explained AND found we'd actually been misinformed about a few things. Don't know if the misinformation had anything to do with the cause of the accident though.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did you ever figure out what caused the extreme swaying that caused the 1st accident?? Maybe you had the chains toooo tight and removed toooo much weight from the ball making the trailer rear heavy. Good luck with the new rig and enjoy.

Mountain Top: The dealer of purchase included the Equalizers (and sway control) with our MPG181. Didn't have any problems with it on the 350-mile trek, but a local dealer later told us that he didn't think it was necessary given measurements he took on our 2009 Honda Pilot. Perhaps you don't need it either?? Could you tell me the things the dealer never explained and what you'd been misinformed about?

MountainTop

Mountain Top: The dealer of purchase included the Equalizers (and sway control) with our MPG181. Didn't have any problems with it on the 350-mile trek, but a local dealer later told us that he didn't think it was necessary given measurements he took on our 2009 Honda Pilot. Perhaps you don't need it either?? Could you tell me the things the dealer never explained and what you'd been misinformed about?

The dealer for the first MPG (a 181) never discussed with us how to properly measure for the the height of the hitch. We were also told to put a lubricant on the hitch ball as well as where the equalizer bars sit on the hitch. The instructions that came with our identical new hitch specifically say NOT to lubricate the ball or the bars. And when the new hitch was installed at the dealer where we bought the 183, it was done opposite of the first installation in order to obtain the proper height.

PeternLiane

Welcome back! Glad that you found a very nice new trailer. We've always greased the hitch balls. I don't want to get in a bind. But I only do it once or twice a year. Safe Travels!!!

RAZORBILL

The dealer for the first MPG (a 181) never discussed with us how to properly measure for the the height of the hitch. We were also told to put a lubricant on the hitch ball as well as where the equalizer bars sit on the hitch. The instructions that came with our identical new hitch specifically say NOT to lubricate the ball or the bars. And when the new hitch was installed at the dealer where we bought the 183, it was done opposite of the first installation in order to obtain the proper height.

I have always lubed the hitch ball on trailers, the Equalizer hitch does say you can lube the joint where the bars attach to the hitch but not where they fit into the "L" brackets. The idea is to cut down on the noise I guess but our hitch is pretty quiet and I haven't lubed the bar joint at all. Hitch height is very important, to high and the tail will wag the dog given the right circumstances. Do you think this is what caused your incident with you're old MPG?

marc515

You are supposed to lube the ball and the points where the bars attach to the hitch head; NOT the "L" brackets.

What year is your Honda pilot, and what's the towing capacity?