Regulator leakIng

I have replaced the gas regulator on my 2008 cyclone 4012 3 times. They all started to leak shortly after installation. I can cook using one propane tank but not heat the trailer without both tanks open. When both tanks are open the regulator leaks. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have replaced the gas regulator on my 2008 cyclone 4012 3 times. They all started to leak shortly after installation. I can cook using one propane tank but not heat the trailer without both tanks open. When both tanks are open the regulator leaks. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

You should be able to run the furnace with only one tank (either one) open, so something is not connected correctly, or your auto cut-over switch is not set correctly. If propane is leaking, perhaps it's at the cut-over switch????

danemayer

Tom, let me see if I can restate the symptoms:

1. You can cook with either tank open and you don't smell any gas around the tanks or regulator.
2. You cannot run the furnace with either tank open by itself, but only with both tanks open, in which case you smell gas at the regulator.
3. You have replaced the regulator 3 times for this same set of symptoms. The problem goes away for a short period and then starts up again.

I would guess that the regulator is not the problem.

If you're doing the replacement yourself, are you using LP tape on the fittings? I think regular pipe tape (for water fittings) breaks down and could start leaking after a short time.

Does the furnace fail to run on EITHER tank by itself? I don't know the Cyclone layout, but on our Landmark, the doorside tank has a regulator and a separate hose that runs across the rig. If that regulator starts to fail, or the hose doesn't pass enough LP, the furnace won't run from the doorside tank by itself.

GOTTOYS

It's very easy to find an LP leak. Mix up a batch of dish soap and water in a cup. Go heavy on the dish soap. With both tank valves open using a small paint brush, put some of the soapy mixture on each connection until you see the soap bubbling up. There's your leak. Could be more than one....Don