Sewer smell

busted2341

We are currently living full time in our B/H 3055. I have had it for just over a year and had been doing summer and weekend type camping. Building a house now so here we are and I am now encountering some of the problems I thought I had been exempt from.. My problem now is sewer smell when the gray water tank lever is left open. This never happened before when we left it open for a week or so. Now when any other water is turned on, washing dishes etc...the smell comes in. I only leave the gray water for the shower open because of the long showers but even when the sink water is turned on we get the smell.:mad: Any answers for this problem? or what it might be to a non-mechanic type to fix?:confused:

Uncle Rog

I do not know, however, I would close the valve to eliminate the smell. It is better to "dump" a tank than to let it "free" drain.

Pulltab

Frank, a couple of things I would check. First under the bathroom sink there should be valve installed on top of the vent pipe, make sure it is tight. Second, do you have a washer dryer installed? If you don't use it often enough the water will evaporate out of the elbow and you lose the seal in the line. Leaving the grey tank valves open should not cause you a problem unless there is problem elsewhere. I am sure you are using the sinks enought that the water could not evaporate from them. Is anyone else connected to your sewer connection? If so perhaps when they dump their tanks the influx rush of the water could possibly blow back up thru your drains. This would usually be unlikely but possible.

We often get sewer smell in the rv when I am dumping the black tank and I have not quite figured out how that is happening.

Another thought, do you have a fantastic fan running that could pull the smell in from the roof vent?

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We too have a sewer smell but different the in this topic.

On the outside of our 3400RL we have a smell of sewage from the black tank system. Inside there is no smell. The smell is strongest when you go to enter the trailer where the steps are. There is also an odor on the opposite side directly across from the steps.

We first noticed the smell at the rally which was our first trip in the new trailer, but assumed it was something to do with the fair grounds. We did not pay attention to the location as there was nothing once you entered the trailer. We started to realize it was our trailer as we camped in other areas on our trip home.

At the last campsite before home I drained the black tank and ran the wash out for about 15 minutes and the water was clear.

I have had the trailer parked on cement in our yard and we can still detect the smell. There is not dripping on the cement and I have gone under the trailer and their appears to be no stains and the belly is not holding any liquid. Therefore I conclude the leak must be a very small drip or such somewhere inside.

Has anyone ever experienced this in the past or know the approach to be taken. We have other items to be looked at so I am sure going to a service center will be required.

Thank you

Wayne F Wilson

billd

Have the connection checked where the toilet dumps into the black tank. There could be a small leak there.

Bill

Uncle Rog

Wayne, too bad you didn't realize the problem at the rally. I guess if you smell sewage or propane somethings not right.....

busted2341

Thanx for replies...Pulltab, I will start checking what you are talking about as soon as I leave work...I'll let ya'll know if I found anything.....Wish I was at the rally.....We are planning on it next year...

ChopperBill

Last fall we had a sewer smell in the bedroom. I had heard about the washer trap deal so I put a baggy over it and taped it shut. Still had the sewer smell. Later figured out it was propane coming into the bedroom from a leaky fitting at the regulator. I thought propane was heavier than air so it couldn't go up to the bedroom. Under the right conditions with a breeze it can. After tightening up the fitting the "sewer" smell went a way. So........don't pass up on checking propane fittings when you are looking for your "sewer" smell.

Jimmyt5

I was at a campground and thought that I was parked next to there pump house.Ever time I went out I thought maybe I should move. Went to light stove and found out that the diaphram had let 2 tanks of gas out. I would have bet cash on the sewer.....
Thats a good guess ChopperBill
Jim

timk

Just before you pull all your hair out, you might try one of those little swingy vent caps. It solved my smell issue.

busted2341

Well I have checked all those great ideas...No go..All the screws, vents, pea traps and pipes are good. No visiable leaks.....At wits end with this. The wife is getting upset at me for the smell not being fixed. Since living in this for the last month we were doing good, but now....peeee-uuuu!! Any other ideas from anyone for anon-mechanic that can't just take it to the shop for a looksee?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We had similar problem with our other trailer and was about to put that swing thingy on the black tank vent. I read about that Geo Method on Rv.net that calls for Calgon and laundry detergent instead of chemicals in black tank. It cured our smell problem and been using it ever since in present trailer.---- Ken

timk

Frank, if your only having the problem with the grey dump valve open, your most likely getting the sewer gas from the city or what ever your hooked up to. If there is the least bit positive pressure in the city system, with your valve open the smell is going into your tank, then up to your roof if everything is working properly, or inside your rig if there is a leak somewhere.

I fixed a customers house the other day, where the vents were similar to ours. But the pipe was not sealed at the roof, allowing gas to enter the attic space, from inside the vent cap. Then its a short trip to your nose. Pop off the cap and see if the pipe is sealed where it goes threw the roof. If not stick a sock or something around the pipe and see if it helps.

Happy smells.
TimK

K

Ken Washington

Frank,
Try replacing the vent under the sink with one that has a spring in it. I found mine at ACE Hardware and that solved my problem. Also there is one under the sink in the kitchen that you should change also.

Ken

busted2341

Ken,

Ok that did it...I am not sure exactly what I did but I got the spring loaded vent cap and so far so good. Thanx for all the great ideas....I did most of them and tried the least expensive, so thanx again Ken....No Smell For Now!!!

K

Ken Washington

busted2341,
I am glad that it helped your problem. The one that you replaced is cheap and will let some odors escape. This is what the forum is all about!

Ken