Scenic Eastern Missouri Routes

Speedy

Planning a early April trip from Minnesota to Alabama and would like to try a more scenic route other than South on I-39 out of Rockford, IL to I-57 and I-24 onto I-65. I was thinking of staying west of the Mississippi (US 61) and take that close to St. Louis, MO. I'll gathering maps of the area to see if we'll be on the large size (Big Country) for those roads, but was wondering if those of you that have traveled that area could chime in.

Thanks,

John

ncc1701e

We took US61 last fall as a different route heading up to Cedar Rapids, IA. I had always gone up through Illinois, but thought I'd try something different. US 61 north from west of St. Louis to Iowa and then US218 to Iowa City, IA was a nice four lane divided highway with very little traffic on the day we traveled. There were ample opportunities for fuel stops or lunches without being a stop & go issue of a lot of small towns. Even with the lower speeds (60 & 65) most of the time I felt the time was as good as taking the expressways through Illinois. I can't help with anything south of St. Louis.

olcoon

I can't give you any roads to travel, as I'd hate to send you on some bad roads. It's been too long since I've been in that part of MO, but going through Poplar Bluff, or a little West of there should put you in some beautiful country. That will be going through the MO Ozarks, and that part of the state is hard to beat.

Speedy

We took US61 last fall as a different route heading up to Cedar Rapids, IA. I had always gone up through Illinois, but thought I'd try something different. US 61 north from west of St. Louis to Iowa and then US218 to Iowa City, IA was a nice four lane divided highway with very little traffic on the day we traveled. There were ample opportunities for fuel stops or lunches without being a stop & go issue of a lot of small towns.

Thank you Commander! That's what I wanted to hear for that section of Missouri; I was worried about placed to stop. Twice on our maiden voyage we got into situations that I really did not want be in. Small and busy fuel stations and getting lost in housing developments.

I'll key your route and roads into the travel computer and keep looking South of St. Louis for the next leg of the trip.

Speedy

Roy, thanks for your reply. My first trip to the Ozarks with my wife opened my eyes to what a beautiful part of the country SW Missouri is. We'll head that way on a winter trip to the Southwest late in 2012, provided we don't burn through all our fuel budget before hand.

ncc1701e

Something I forgot, unless you enjoy pain I'd stay away from I64 through St. Louis into sothern Illionis. Came back from Denver Thanksgiving and it is pretty much construction from the river for about 20 miles east on I64. Six lanes of traffic chocked down to two or one at times, almost as bad as going through Atlanta.

Speedy

From the map/route I'm toying with it looks as though we'd be staying West of St. Louis and picking up I-55 heading South until we get close to Oakville and then cross the river.