Is this enough truck?

lwfox002

Hey everyone. I would like your opion about my truck. We have just bought a Sundance 2997BHS weighing about 11870#s. I am currently using a 1997 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab short bed 2 wd with the 360 V8 with auto transmission. Do I need to upgrade? We normally only travel within 100 miles of our home in Arkansas but do have some hills to pull. So far so good bur does seem a little weak on the long uphill pulls. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Can't afford a new truck just yet.

Larry

Oh and we love our new Sundance and feel our dealer, Crabtree RV in Alma, Arkansas is great.None

There is only one way to tell if it is enough truck is to take it to the scale and then see how you like how it pulls.

Look at the Gross Combined Weight Restriction for truck and trailer together. (Gross weight on the scale ticket)

Then look at the Gross Vehicle Weight Restriction for your truck. (Add the two axle weights from the ticket)

If those two are good and you aren't over the individual axle restrictions, you legally have enough truck for the trailer.

Now as to the engine, that is your call. If you are willing to go slower up the hills, then it is enough truck. If not, your only real option is to get a diesel or maybe a V-10.

BluegrassMan

I'm pulling a Landmark Grand Canyon with a 96 2500HD ex cab longbed,v-10 power. I can pull good till I hit a 7-8% hill. Then down the other side I actually need more brake. There's where a heaver duty truck is what you need. Stopping is way more important that pulling IMHO.

bigdawgs

website typo

Thanks for correcting my typo. My eyesight isn't the greatest lately ....I better start letting my wife double check my emails.

lwfox002

Thanks for all the posts. I will use the website requested. The 97 Dodge goes to the transmission shop Thursday for a torque converter and possible other tranny needs. We'll see.:mad:

lwfox002

Took delivery of a 2003 Ford F350 Superduty 4x4 CC with 6.0L today. Traded the Dodge off. Tow rating on this truck is 12500, should do the job but is close to the weight of my Sundance 2997BHS fully loaded.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not too familiar with Ford truck but you tow rating sounds like it might be the rating for "trailer towing" with a weight distribution hitch. I would think the 5th wheel rating is a bit more. You might want to verify this. Our Chevy has a similar rate for trailers and 15,600 for 5th wheels.

BluegrassMan

Well it looks like there's an F450 in my future, I finally sold a house that took for ever to sell. "Hello King Ranch 450". I'll probably order it as the ones around here are never exactly what I want.