Travel bars for electric slides

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
A question was asked in the Bighorn section by Pulltab about travel bars for hydraulic slides. I have the same question but I have electric slides not hydraulic.

And, just in case the answer is "Yes, we should use travel bars" ... how do I get one on the rear bunk slide since I can't open the door while the slide is in?

Thanks,

BluegrassMan

If I'm thinking correctly to what you are saying, why do you need travel bars? I was told a long time ago, "if you have a QUALITY transport system under the slides you don't need them or the support legs after you set up to camp." I never felt the need with my last 2 5vers. Maybe the low end entry level stuff need them, I don't think Heartland's higher lines would.

Pulltab

Denny, the travel bars he is referring to are the ones that you put in when the slides are in to keep them secure. On our Fleetwood we had 5 slides and had to use the travel bars. They were all electric slides. Usually the bars are installed at the top of the slides to hold them in tight to prevent water intrusion and the top of the slides from tipping out during travel, especially during turns.

John, I don't know Heartlands stance on the travel bars with electric slides but you just read about our past 5th wheel where we did.

BluegrassMan

I guess I could be mistaken, that was a salesman's words maybe 5yrs. ago or so. He went in to great detail as to why you need them and why you don't. It came down to the quality of the slide mechanism, according to him. This is where "I" got my information. I never used them, my rooms always sealed and didn't back off causing a leak. My last 5ver had elec. slides with the rack/pinion workings. I don't know..........

C

Chulinw

I had a 99 Jayco that had the bars to stop the electric slides from going out. I do have a little problem with the entertainment slide going out about 1 inch when I travel and it lets in rain and dust from the road. The other two slides stay in and seal up great. I would like to have the bar for the one slide to stop it from opening up that 1 inch.