"Fantastic Fan" Vent Covers - Air Flow Restrictions - Visual Demonstration Video

brianharrison

Jim B pointed out the new Fantatistic fan company cover for their fantastic fan - Called the Ultrabreeze Link here.

Up to this point I had not seen any comparison of air flow due to restictions by different styles of vent covers. Lots of conversations but no "engineered comparison". Being a "show me the proof" kind of person; I was always skeptical about the discussions re: this or that cover is better.

I appreciate the position companies have to take to not "slander the competition" or make claims of superior or inferior, but I found a video that visually demonstrates the reduction of air flow due to different styles of vent covers over fantastic fans.

Thought I would share the video --> Link to Youtube video showing air flow restriction in different styles of vent covers

It was informative for me. Unfortunately, it did not compare to the MaxxAir FanMate that I have currently have over my fantastic fan. As well, I would like to see the comparison when the fantastic fan is full on and the cover is fully open, to compare that data point as well. It appears the fan is not at full speed nor the cover fully open.

Take care,
Brian

merlinb

Retired
Interesting. However, being the skeptic that I am, I wonder why they never let you see the outlet side of any of those covers. Hmmm? Not trying to imply that anything deceitful is going on, I would just like to see the difference in the design of the outlet area of those different covers. For all we know the outlet of the Fantastic cover could be just one large opening with no louvers to guard against rain incursion or anything else.

brianharrison

True enough - however on the Ultrabreeze link there is an installation manual with more drawings/pics and I see there is a grating over the outlet. But they do offer an optional "screen" which would reduce airflow.

I hear your thoughts and it would be great to see more info/data points. That being said, this is the first "comparison" I have seen.

Take care,
Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Funny they didn't do a comparison of the MaxxAir FanMate cover, which I've had over my Fantastic Fan ever since we got the trailer.

CliffP

Great thread! Not sure how soon we'll be shopping for vent cap covers but I hope an independent lab does some testing before we do. The youtube video was uploaded by Fantastic Vent. My thought is the MaxxAir FanMate either performed better or there wasn't enough difference in performance for Fantastic Vent to use it for advertising purposes. It would be nice if someone who's used both would post their thoughts.
Cliff

jbeletti

Cliff,

Doubt you'll see any independent lab, testing plastic vent covers. Someone has to pay for that. So most testing you'll likely find will be done by manufacturers selling their own brand of covers. Many of them will do comparisons of their product to their nearest competitors. If they leave out one that some would say is a very popular or strong competitor, most would say that maybe their product would not fare well against it. Then of course, new products come to market all the time, and comparisons may not be repeated each time.

The comparisons I saw first-hand at the Louisville show of the Fantastic Ultra Breeze covers were pretty compelling. They compared to about 2 or 3 other popular covers. But they did not do any comparison to other brands of fans with covers - they compared covers only.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There's another RV show in Tampa Bay next weekend (3/15-3/18). I hope to find the Ultrabreeze there. We weren't able to hang around back in January due to some unexpected health issues with Lin. She's good to go now, so it's back to shopping.

caissiel

I removed al covers on our previous trailer because were turning yellow and blocking the sunlight and in 13 years and parked in winter wth snow loads and shoveling the roof I replaced one roof vent in 13 years of owning the trailer. But I have been using them for electrical extension plug protection for years . To they ony block the light and restrict the air flow of any fan by up to 60%. An other addedwasted option that I will never use.