Garage screen door

Dirt1st

I have a Cyclone 3210 with the optional garage screen door, however, the screen will not stay down. I can find no latching or fastening device to hold the screen down. Am I missing something? Several other Cyclone owners report the same problem - see the "Garage" thread.

Sol

Another 3210 owner, awaiting a response to this week old inquiry. Thank you in advance.

Scott

Guys - I'll try to get you an answer. All I know is there are two types of screen doors used by manufacturers in this price point. One is a velcro deal, and our is in a nice track. I'll try to get the mfg. of the screen door to help us out on this one, but off the top of my head, I am going to say that the mfg. of our screen door is still trying to balance the spring roller function at the top with some way to keep it down. There obviously is not a handle on it that has a matching latch hookup on the floor. This may take a R&D. I would think that the tension on the top that pulls it up could be adjusted - I'll look into it, and get back with you guys.
ST

Sol

Scott said:
Guys - I'll try to get you an answer. All I know is there are two types of screen doors used by manufacturers in this price point. One is a velcro deal, and our is in a nice track. I'll try to get the mfg. of the screen door to help us out on this one, but off the top of my head, I am going to say that the mfg. of our screen door is still trying to balance the spring roller function at the top with some way to keep it down. There obviously is not a handle on it that has a matching latch hookup on the floor. This may take a R&D. I would think that the tension on the top that pulls it up could be adjusted - I'll look into it, and get back with you guys.
ST

We ordered our unit with the (from the factory) retractable screen option, which is the one "in a nice track". I'm now curious why Heartland would contract with a mfg. that "is still trying to balance the spring roller function" of their product? Additionally, no written mfg. information - identifying make, model, instructions or warranty were included (as with other equipment documentation provided). Any additional information and insights regarding this particular equipment offered as a Heartland factory installed option is greatly appreciated at this point. I (we) look forward to your next response, after consulting with your contracted mfg..

Scott

Sorry that the screen door mfg. doesn't have a brochure with pictures and instructions on it's usage. They are fairly new and their design is newer - but it seems to be much better than the velco (of course, if you'd rather have the cheap velcro one - I can probably make that happen, if that would make you happy).
Though I do my best to answer hundreds of questions on this forum each month - I am not the Heartland customer service dept. - and sometimes, it is better for you to call them directly at 675.262.5992 to get detail answers - such as how to adjust the tension in a screen door.
ST

Sol

Scott said:
Sorry that the screen door mfg. doesn't have a brochure with pictures and instructions on it's usage. They are fairly new and their design is newer - but it seems to be much better than the velco (of course, if you'd rather have the cheap velcro one - I can probably make that happen, if that would make you happy).
Though I do my best to answer hundreds of questions on this forum each month - I am not the Heartland customer service dept. - and sometimes, it is better for you to call them directly at 675.262.5992 to get detail answers - such as how to adjust the tension in a screen door.
ST

I (we) appreciate your efforts toward answer our questions. If calling Heartland customer service directly is the more/most appropriate response in this particular case, then that is what should be communicated.

Perhaps this thread of inquiry can be a useful tool in several directions. The fact that the mfg. doesn't provide a brochure (or any other identifying information) might be an indication that it might be a good idea for them to consider and implement. Heartland mfg. might also consider that when offering optional equipment manufactured by an independent supplier said contract should include/require such details in the future, thus increasing consumer information, support and overall satisfaction.

Country

We've been looking at Toy haulers for over a year now, so I've seen a lot of them. What I've noticed is 3 different brands or styles of "track type" roll-up screens. No manufacturer name on them and they were all different. One had a latches on both sides right next to the track on the floor. It latched well and seem to be very high quality. The next was one of equal quality, but no latches. It worked like a spring loaded window shade and had a rubber weather strip on the bottom (like the one in the Cyclone). The only problem was it would bunch up in the tracks sometimes when you would roll it up, but the parts seemed to be made tough and sturdy. Last is the Cyclone's. I hate to say, but it was the least quality one I'd seen (track and roller housing were thin and flimsy). These were the 1st Cyclones we'd seen. The dealer had 4 of them, all with screens and all were there the same. Not one would stay down for any length. You could get them to stay for a few seconds and then they would all of a sudden fly back open. We are very impressed with the Cyclone and believe this is the Toy hauler for us, but I don't think I'll be ordering the optional rear screen. I'll be talking to them at the factory about it, but I think I'll get one of the other types and install it myself. Maybe it just need to be adjusted, but all four worked the same. Even if you got it to stay down, wasn't made very well.

Again we really like the Heartland product over all and are looking forward to becoming part of the family.

Last edited:

Loco

Our stays down with no troubles

Her are some pictures of our locks. They are just little bolts and nuts. So far it works fine. But I plan to do something to make it better later. I will keep everyone up on my changes

Attachments

• 2007 trailer pics 064.jpg
    2007 trailer pics 064.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 139

Country

Loco, there are little plates on the bottom of the screen that when down line up with the little bolts in the track. Do you think the plates are magnetic??? Just something I was thinking when we looked at it...

Loco

country,
On my unit it is just two little bolt head that pop in the track that runs across the bottom bar of the screen.One thing I have seen is if the bottom of the track is spead out or apart we can say. The little locks will not work. I will take some better pictures this weekend. Then post them. I have the rig loaded and getting ready to leave for SC to night.

Sol

Thanks Loco, Appreciate the photo and a a bit of conversation regarding the mechanics. We're thinking the same "to do something to make it better". Keep us posted, and we'll be doing the same.

Scott

Here's what I have found out. If you look at the PHOTO that LOCO posted, you will see a small little bolt with a nut. While his seems to be working fine, it is actually backwards. The nut is supposed to be inside the track, with the head on the outside of the track. These little bolts with nuts are found of both tracks and are what "lock" the plastic handle of the screen door in place when it is down. The plant manager told me that sometimes, they have come in from the door mfg. backwards, but still work (aka LOCOs photo). He said they try to catch them and turn them around, but that is the "locking" mechanism - to keep the door down.
ST

Country

Thanks Scott, that makes sense.
Still not sure that's a very good design though.
What happens when the plastic lip the bolt (or nut) catches on wears out? Which over years of use will surely happen. Just trying to think long term.

What do you think Loco?

Sol

Scott said:
Here's what I have found out. If you look at the PHOTO that LOCO posted, you will see a small little bolt with a nut. While his seems to be working fine, it is actually backwards. The nut is supposed to be inside the track, with the head on the outside of the track. These little bolts with nuts are found of both tracks and are what "lock" the plastic handle of the screen door in place when it is down. The plant manager told me that sometimes, they have come in from the door mfg. backwards, but still work (aka LOCOs photo). He said they try to catch them and turn them around, but that is the "locking" mechanism - to keep the door down.
ST

Thank you Scott. We have backward installation, will try turning them around as part of the fix.