Onan generator

zomig

Am considering the Onan 5.5 marquis gold generator to install into my Landmark Key Largo with generator prep. option. I am debating whether to put the gas or propane version in the RV. Obviously cost is a concern, so am unclear as to the installation costs gas vs. propane. (gas tank, propane adaptation, etc.) Have been quoted between 3-10hrs for installation, which 10hrs seems excessive, & at $100 to $130/hr, is becoming pricey. The compartment appears to have a metal box for generator placement & an adjacent compartment, I'm assuming, for the gas tank? Anyone have experiences with either type of generator?..... comments, good or bad, about either type of generator installation or performance?

Landmark Key Largo
Arizona...:cool:

jpajax

Propane is very costly, is not avialable in some remote areas, and the is not very fuel efficient in a generator.

brianharrison

Previous thread on gens and installation: --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26396-Need-some-of-your-thoughts

Another one --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15347-which-generator

And a complete forum on generators and comments from other users on gen and installations.--> //heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/537-Generators

macjj

I have an older ONAN 5500 in my Class A - GAS, however it is tied into the coach fuel tank. Was considering a 5500 for my 3070 BH. Dealers and Mfg suggests Propane, however I have to agree the cost is getting up there, however most parks do have it available for standard refills. According to my research the propane units are not very efficient and have noted failures. Therefore I am considering Diesel. I carry Diesel for my truck, would have to fill a small tank in the trailer for the generator. There are issues with exhaust gases, but the efficiency rating is greater and they last longer. However they do not seem to be recommended by the factory or dealers - have not determined why. Just my 1/2 cent worth. Also do not know if a dealer will install it.

porthole

Retired
The price point of diesel gensets make them a hard sell.

If I were to put a genset in and I could add a fuel tank such as what the Cyclone comes with, that is what i would do.

MTPockets

Propane works great. Never had a problem getting propane. Convenience is worth the consumption difference. For us, as an occasional user of the Gen., Propane is the way to go. If you use it a lot and If you want to go first class and most safe - go diesel. I wouldn't want to keep the gas in my 5vr.