From Michigan to Florida

dprince99

Plan to go from Flint Michigan to Palmetto Florida straight down I-75 & have never traveled pulling our trailer this far before (Please see our signature below). I'm figuring about 10 mpg & our first stop will be in Chattanooga TN, which is about 657 miles from our starting point. I will start with about 84 gal. of diesel fuel & I'm hopping to get to the RV park in TN, unhook & then refill the tanks.
My questions are:
* What problems might I encounter traveling down I-75, will I run out of Fuel because of going up, down, & around Mountains before arriving @ the RV park in TN, Or maybe undue ware & tear on truck & drivetrain?
* Should I maybe take an alternative route such as I-65 which appears to be a little longer but a flatter route, If so, were should I get on & off I-65?
Sorry so wordy but we are starting to get a little nervous about the trip down I-75 to TN. We really want to unhook before refueling but also want to get to Florida the second day, Chattanooga TN is the half way point.
Thanks again,
David & Virginia

Rickhansen

Hi David,
Not sure when you're planning your trip, but weather would be my biggest concern. You seem to have an aversion to fuel stations, and with an 86 gallon tank I sympathize with the pain in the wallet. I know my bladder would be full long before the fuel tank is empty. Although a pretty full load, I don't think you will have any terrain or wear and tear issues with your truck. There are plenty of easy in, easy out truck stops along these routes where you should be able to comfortably get in and out of with your rig.

The details of your trip are up to you, but I'd be more apt to follow the most direct route, set the cruise at 65, and stop for a few minutes when you need to. Along the way, there will be a Flying J to could top off, drain the other tank, and stretch for a few minutes. I'd rather be on the road an extra hour than push my own physical and mental limits.

MTPockets

Depending on time of day - I-75 potential traffic bottle necks crossing river at Cincinnati; Atlanta - I usually take the I-285 bypass, but lots of traffic either way.

caissiel

I travel 2k miles coming south and with th 58 gal cap I get 600 miles all the time if keeping the turbo pressure down and keeping 62 mph and 55 with a heavy cross wind. Head wind hardly affect mileage with my trailer bu side wind does. So I take my breaks in midday. But I am a firm believer in tire monitoring system for relaxed driving with my unit. We never rush it but I love and relax while driving. 10 hrs per day is my max.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know if trying to make Chattanooga your first stop is realistic. Having driven our car that way, from Flint, it's easily a 12 hour plus drive. That's with minimal stops and switching driving between the two of us. Pulling a Cyclone, you won't be cruising at 70 - 75 mph, either. I'd be more inclined to make each leg of the trip something like 400 miles and take an extra day.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
We have made the trip from Florida to Michigan several times but once you go from Ohio into Kentuck and Northern Tennessee you will start to slow down because of Terrain so I don't think you will make Chatanooga in one day.

kkamshop

I just read on another forum that I-75 southbound is closed at mile marker 144 in Tennessee due to a rockslide. Don't know any more details, but you may want to check with the TN DOT website before you leave.

dewassinc

We've travelled down I75 from Waterloo, Ontario past Flint and on down to Florida. In fact we've made this trip 4 times in the past 3 months. I feel I75 is your best route; really not that mountainous and lots of rest areas along the way. Also lots of gas stations along the interstate. As we will be doing this trip numerous times over the next few years (newly retired plus new snowbird); we will definitely be making the I75 our regular run. No problems.

jimtoo

We've travelled down I75 from Waterloo, Ontario past Flint and on down to Florida. In fact we've made this trip 4 times in the past 3 months. I feel I75 is your best route; really not that mountainous and lots of rest areas along the way. Also lots of gas stations along the interstate. As we will be doing this trip numerous times over the next few years (newly retired plus new snowbird); we will definitely be making the I75 our regular run. No problems.

Hi dewassinc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum and your new "snowbird" status. Check out the Heartland Owners Club and check for rallies in your travels. Lots of great folks to meet and good food to eat.

Jim M

MTPockets

Thanks for the guidance everyone,
We decided to take (2) nights & I-65 instead of I-75.
Thanks Again,
Dave:)

We've done I-65 several times from Indiana... Actually a better choice than I-75, but will be hectic through Nashville if near rush hour.

I agree with JohnDar, 400 Miles is a good days drive, without burnout.
I'm from Port Huron and have traveled both ways, one way down and the other back.
I also found Louisville, Ky. to be a headache on I-65,
I thought this was the worst city on either route to drive through.
Everyone is different, so weight all the comments.
The I-75 route is more scenic.
The big thing is to relax, take your time and enjoy the drive.
I like to spend 2 nights out before I arrive in Florida.
Don't rush it.
Keep the speed around 60MPH and stop every 2 hrs for a quick break.

Hockster

=====================================================================================================================================

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
dprince99, having just returned from Rockport Tx to Tennessee we traveled I-65 from Birmingham Al to Nashville and you will have some hills to climb and the road from there to Nashville will good. Now from your area to Chattanooga on I-75 will have a few larger hills to travel, with the exception of the slide at 144 on the Kentucky / Tenn. line this route will be more scenic. If you go through Atlanta from 10am until 3pm on 75 straight through town you will be fine. We only travel 300-400 miles per day. We tried 525 one time (again I say 1 time) it about killed me as I am the only driver. I now travel and stop every 2 hours. I also have a TF 50 tank with my 29 gal main tank. We do not unhook when on the road and just stop at truck stops. Get the book Next Exit and it will show you where you can stop and get fuel while on the road without unhooking. Righ now we are at Best Holiday travel Park in Chattanooga and it is a great park. Good luck on your travels.

Westwind

I only have a 26 gallon tank on my GMC Sierra DA, I stop for fuel once I hit 1/4 tank 190 miles approximately, by using Google maps / directions - it gives me mileage and I can figure out area I need to fuel up. Then using Next Exit or searching for truck stops in the are on the computer I can almost find my truck stop to fuel up. It will eliminate the anxiety ( I can really relate to that ) of traveling an unknown route. Not having traveling I-65 beyond Cullman, Alabama I can't tell you much. Never traveled I-75.

ihsolutions

I made this drive last November with my rig, which prompted me to immediately put the old truck up for sale when I got home. Too many crazy moments of searching for an accessible fuel station, that I did not enjoy. 26 gallon tank is a joke when you are towing.

I chose the Sams club parking lot in Chattenooga for my 1/2 stop over and it was perfect. But it was just me in the truck. I75 is really pretty flat, even in the mountains there are not any steep climbs or descents.