Satellite - Wrapping My Head Around What I Need

frumbawa

Hi All,

Need some confirmation from the pros. Have Directv in the house consisting of Slimline SWM single wire dish, multi switch, power inserter and mix of both HD and SD Receivers. Picked up an additional SWM dish and power inserter leftover from a a foreclosed house a buddy just moved into. Also picked up a tripod for the dish. So, some questions as to what else I need to get set up.

I read in another thread newer coaches are wired with two cables in the UDC, one to the BR and one to the LR. If that's the case, what's wrong with this picture?

2012-03-09_16-41-54_999.jpg

I'm thinking mislabeled and if so, I believe I need to split the single line coming off the dish to go into the LR/BR connections. I read also in another thread someone had done this. What kind of splitter (or multi switch) do I need?

I understand the potential difficulties setting up HD satellite but so far I haven't spent any money on this project so if I can get it going, big bonus.

Besides gadgets like sat finder and compass, what else do I need. Am I on the right track??

Frank

jbeletti

Frank,

I think you're right - mislabeling of the ports. The one on it's own is usually the cable TV input port. The other 2 are likely the lines going to the LR and BR.

What is your plan for placement of the power supply and SWM splitter?

If this gear is to be dedicated to the RV, then you could mount the power supply and SMW splitter in the UDC or at least in the basement. I don't believe you'd need any additional splitters other than the SWM. Though I'm not expert in this area.

Jim

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I cant comment on how the new units are wired, but, the two connections on the right should go to the bedroom and living room. All you will need is a splitter http://www.amazon.com/Directv-8-Way-Wide-Band-Splitter/dp/B0045DVIP4 to mount in the UDC. Connect the single wire from the dish to the splitter and then to both of those connection. Mount the power inserter and connect it also. Put the recievers in and connect to the televisions, aim the dish, and you should be good to go.

Now that is assuming that the coach is wired as we suspect. easiest way to find out is put the recievers in the unit and run your single wire from the already aimed dish at your home to each connection and make sure it is wired correctly.

If you are using the recievers from your house, you have to make sure your dishes are the same. Sounds like you have that covered.

As far as trouble setting up HD dish, It is no harder than a regular dish. As long as you have the tripod level, and know the settings beforehand, (azimuth, tilt, and height ) you can be done with it in less than five minutes. As long as you dont have trees in the way. The only meter I use is a cheap $20 job from radio shack. I have found the dishpointer app for the android phone to be more usefull than the meter.

Set it up in your yard where you dont have any obstructions once or twice and you will understand what I mean.
1.Use the zipcode finder directv has to get your settings for wherever you are going to be camping. (before traveling)
2.Use dishpointer app to make sure you can see the satelites without obstruction
3.level the tripod
4.Preset the height and tilt before putting the dish on the tripod.
5.mount and wire it to the splitter
6.All you have to do is turn it (side to side) slowly until you hit the sweet spot.

Good luck, and have fun!

frumbawa

Thanks for the feed back so far guys.

Jim, most of the hardware will be dedicated to the RV, the only exception being the receivers. I will probably attach the power supply to the LR feed for now and if all works out, maybe find a place more permanent to place it down the road. My only concern about the UDC is possible exposure to water and other elements but who knows, it could be fine.

Thanks for the tip on TV4RV CodyCarver. Been to their sight quite a bit for tips already. Have my eye on the heavy duty tripod if all this actually works.

ncrebel8 - thanks for the link to the splitter. Assuming this all plays out the way I think, that may be exactly what I need. I definitely plan to perfect this at home testing before I take it on the road. I would hate to get out to the CG and not look like I know what I'm doing if you know what I mean :).

One more question - if I choose to run satellite to the LR only, do I actually need the splitter?

Thanks again.