Heading out on our first real trip with the Landmark!

jbeletti

Hi all,

We're about to embark on our first real adventure with the Landmark. Just loading up the truck now, then heading out to the seasonal site that we store our baby on. Then tomorrow morning we hitch up in Marengo, IL and head to Wisconsin Dells.

Nancy and I are volunteering to help cleanup the campground as what I guess is an annual spring/early summer event for them. Clean up an equivalent of 2 campsites and stay 2 nights free! Works for us. A little outdoor workout and free camping.

Actually, this is the campground I have targeted as staying at in August when we take the kids to the Dells so this gives me a great opportunity to check it out and decide first-hand if we like it and even choose the best site for next time.

I'll let you all know how our shake-down went.

Jim

DJGood

I am so jealous......send pictures and update us on how everything goes. Good luck and have fun! Chris and Debi

GregH

Pros/Cons of Optional Island on Mount Rushmore

Jim,
What are your thoughts regarding the optional island on the Mount Rushmore? I thought I read something at one time that makes me believe you have it in your rig. Lyn and I like the MR model the best, but the only one we have seen did not have ithe island in it. We don't want to restrict the flow too much so we are trying to get first hand impressions from someone with the island.

If anybody else has any experience with the island, I would appreciate hearing your views.

I think we are days away from ordering, just trying to knock out the final decisions regarding options.

Thanks for your help and I really ejoy reading about your adventures and the modifications you have been making.

jbeletti

Greg and Lyn,

Yes, we do have the optional island. Nancy was neutral on getting it. I do most of the cooking, so she left it up to me. I was all-in for the island from the beginning. I love it but know that it is not for everyone. I'll list some pros and cons:

Pros:
- Storage Space: you gain a lot of storage space. It has 2 cabinet doors and 3 drawers (I think). We put out pots-n-pans in the cabinets and plastic bowls and cutting boards etc in the drawers. Top drawer is the junk drawer though - just like at home!
- Counter Space: you gain a lot compared to what you have as standard. If you like food prep space, buffet style serving or just a place to set stuff, it's great
- AC Outlet: you gain an electrical outlet in the refer end of the island. Good for crockpot or frypan on the island.
- Aisle Lighting: the island has rope lighting under the toe-kick area that is connected to the Aisle lighting circuit. Nice at night for letting puppies outside - no need to turn on other lights.

Cons:
- Cost: it is not free or even cheap
- Floor Space: you lose floor space. If the space taken up in the middle of the room between the dinette and kitchen counter is valuable to you for some task besides walking through, then this will break up that space
- Loss of use of some of the kitchen and easy pass-through ability: With the slides in, the dinette contacts the island. No usage of the dinette or passing through that way. Also very tight, but passable on the kitchen side. No use of oven and no safe use of stove.

That all said, I still love it. And recently, while on the way back from a trip, I parked in a parking lot of a shopping center in Madison, WI with the door side next to a curb. While Nancy walked a block away to get lunch from Panera Bread, I isolated the bed and kitchen slides and ran out the dinette slide only. There was a 10 foot wide grass strip between the curb and the sidewalk. Anyway, me and the puppies were waiting in the trailer at the table with drinks and napkins when Nancy got back. It worked out great. If we had no island, there would be no pressing need to run the dinette slide out as you could use the dinette when the slide in.

Best of luck in your decision!

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hi Jim
Congrats on your first trip, hope you have a good time. I have the Grand Canyon with the full island and My wife and I love it. It really adds storage and counter space. Also pulling out the dining room slide to eat lunch is not that much trouble. I have even taken it out while sitting at a rest stop in the truck and RV area. The parking slots are pretty wide and it only needs to go out far enough to get past the island. Have fun and keep in touch.

Glenn

GregH

Jim,

Thanks a lot for the information. We are going to get it with the island - I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages for us. Lyn tends to have every kitchen gadget on the planet, so the additional storage space will be important as well as the extra counter space. Again many thanks - heading to the local Heartland dealer tomorrow to see if we can make a deal.