Information for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, TN Area

I will be in Gatlinburg, TN on 4 April 2012 for 7 days, heading North after spending the Winter in Gulf Shores, AL., with a stop in Macon, GA.
I will be staying at the Smoky Bear RV/Campground, which is on Hwy 321.
I'm looking for driving information for the area.
I'm heading North on I-75 from Macon, Ga. to Knoxville, TN. and know it would be closer to get off I-40 at exit 407 and take Hwy 66 South into Gatlinburg.
The RV park says to come in off I-40 at exit 435 and bring 321 into the park.
From what I remember about Gatlinburg, it's been years, things were tight there.
I'm posting this, hoping that some of you are familiar with the area.
I know the RV park knows the area, and there must be a reason for using Hwy 321.
I have sent them an email about the directions, but was wondering what your thoughts would be.

Thanks.

Hockster

=============================================================================================================================

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The safest way to get to Smoky Bear is to take the Newport exit 435. It starts off as a 4 lane road, narrowing down to a single lane road that has some curves but much better than getting off at 407. I would not pull a 5th wheel off 407 to Sevierville, taking the back way to hwy 321, nor would I go into Gatlinburg to get on Hwy 321. Your best route is exit 435.

Boca_Shuffles

Under No Circumstances try to pull a trailer on US129 through Deal's Gap. You will have a heart attack and will most likely cause an accident or death. This section of the road is called the "Tail of the Dragon" and has 318 hairpin and s-curves in 11 miles.

To view pictures of motorcycles and sports cars on these "look over your shoulder to see where you are going" curves, google Deal's Gap or visit Killboy.com. They take about 300 pictures a day and have them for viewing and sale. Check out the Trucks and Trailers category for scary pictures of people who just followed their GPS.

Last edited:

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
No offense to anyone but Hockster take Nabo's advice as they live there and travel those roads all the time.

I intend to do just that.
His information jives with what the RV park said, when I contacted them for a clarification on there instructions.
Thanks to all who responded.

Hockster

=======================================================================================================================================