Emergency Road Side Services

Sandpirate69

I'm not sure if this is the proper section for this question. I'll let the moderator decide. I currently have AAA for raod side emergency. Have been with them since 1992. I've been fortunate enough to not need their service. My question is should I switch to Good Sam ERS or stick to AAA?
The reason behind the question: While working on my 5ver I had a gentleman walk over & ask me who I had for ERS. I told him I had AAA RV Plus. He told me that he had the same, until he had problems off the main highway. He said that he was about 3 hrs. from the main hwy and AAA gave him a hard time. He also said, that he's had several blow-outs and AAA only comes free of charge 4X a year.
So the question now comes, who is better? AAA or Good Sam? I'm posting this on the Forum because I know I will get some honest responses. I'm getting ready to renew my membership in the nxt few weeks. So I would like to make an informed decision. :confused:

Thank you,
Ivan

donr827

I have GS and they have been good to respond to my needs. All of my calls had to do with flat tires and a dead battery. I use to have AAA but they might not cover the area you are in if you need to have your trailer towed. There are many AAA clubs around the US and they all do not have rv service. This is the way it worked when I retired from AAA 7 yrs ago.
Don

Sandpirate69

I have GS and they have been good to respond to my needs. All of my calls had to do with flat tires and a dead battery. I use to have AAA but they might not cover the area you are in if you need to have your trailer towed. There are many AAA clubs around the US and they all do not have rv service. This is the way it worked when I retired from AAA 7 yrs ago.
Don

Don,

Thanks for your reply. I have another question I should have posted but forgot. Does GS cover my wifes car or my TV when not towing the rig?

Thanks again,
Ivan

sharmulst

We have GS and yes they cover your car when not with your rig. They will also cover a motorcycle, we know from experience. One time they even came to our house to put on the spare when we noticed a crack in the groove of the tire as well as a bulge. Steve didn't even want to chance the drive to get them replaced. Wouldn't be without GS ERS.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We have had GS for years. they even sent two flatbeds and a loader to pick up our trailer and TV when we were blown off the road, crashed and burned. Imagine asking AAA to do that. BTW we do have the AAA for their maping services and the kids cars.

tom

danemayer

The biggest difference to me is that AAA will cover a problem with the tow vehicle only. If your truck has to be towed, they will leave your RV on the side of the road. Good Sam will tow the RV if the problem is with the RV and will tow both if the problem is with the tow vehicle.

hapjack

Ivan: WE have been with GS since 1993 have used it twice for tires.They always made sure that we were in a safe spot. hapjack 2083

tmcran

GS! They have been great each time we have used them. I dumped AAA years ago. They seemed to always have an excuse as to why it would take the 3-4 hrs to get to me. Each time we have used GS they have always followed up to be sure service was rendered appropriatly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got Good Sam ERS and have only used it once. At the Goshen Rally last summer I found an inner dually had gone flat. I called GS and they had a tow truck out in 30 minutes. Young fellow pulled the tire(s) off and tried to find the leak. But he could not, so he summized that it was the plastic gate caps on the valve stems and gave me a complete set of seven metal ones...no charge. That tire has held air ever since.

And according to their policy, they cover any vehicle you're driving, irregardless of whether or not you're towing something.

Urban350

I have been wondering the same as the OP but with one more question anybody use them in Canada? Good Sam that is?

Manzan

I don't know about Canada but we have used GS twice. Once when the fuel pump in my Suburban went out. The sent a flatbed truck and the driver asked where I wanted to go. Gave me several choices that were qualified to work on the Suburban. Did not know at the time it was the fuel pump, just that it refused to run. The other time was out in the boonies in Montana and needed more air in my spare after one of the trailer tires blew. Had a small hand pump but it was around 100° outside at the time. Not a problem. Now I have a good 12v rotary air pump.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have used the Good Sam ERS on several occasions. One time it was Sunday on a Labor Day weekend in Mississippi. They had a wrecker out in 30 minutes to change a tire. Another time we has very poor cell service an it took 5 hours to get a wrecker but they kept calling back checking on us and we kept dropping the call. That is when the we blew the engine in our tow vehicle. They sent out a wrecker for the truck and a 1 ton pickup to tow the 5er. They even called an RV park and made arrangements for a sight. They towed the RV to that RV Park. I have never been disappointed in GS ERS.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just to throw a bit of competition. Being an Escapee I use Coachnet and get a good discount. Coachnet is a branch of National Motor Club. But I think one to one Coachnet is as good if not better than Good Sams, but check it out to see if it works for you.

BC

shovelguy

We would never have anything but GS. The first time we had a leaf spring break on us, 10 miles outside of nowhere in Alberta, CA. I called them. We didn't officially have them at that time, I had just been 'thinking about it'. Anyway, I called them and they found a machinist shop willing to let us stay in their parking lot and a tow truck who came out of Calgary to assist. They were so helpful even though we weren't paying customers. You can bet we signed up immediately after that incident and have stayed signed up. d&j

wehavefun

As a Good Sam ( Cross Country Motor Club ) and AAA service provider, I have handled plenty of ERS calls for fellow RVers. Here is what I know, because of payment issues my company will only take Good Sam when we are given a credit card by CCMC to cover the charges incurred! AAA may pay a bit less, but they have several more contractors in some areas. In my many expeirences in my business or by talking to fellow towers I can assure you that your coverage and response depends on three factors, 1) how professional the company that is contracted in your area you in, it varys ! 2) the relationship the vendor has with the auto club and 3) equipment needed to handle your RV.
AAA only covers the disabled vehicle, many AAA providers don't have the correct equipment to handle 5th wheels or large class A's. Unfortunately you may get a contractor that does not have the proper equipment, but they want to help, while the intent may be fantastic the out come could become a disaster. Please don't heckle the tow guy, don't tell him every move to make and do not get in his way, if the tower that responds to your emergency doesn't appear to know what they are doing, then send them away! I know that might be easier said then done, but it is your choice!
Unfortunately you almost need to interview the service provider that will be responding, ask to speak directly to the provider or get a phone number and name of the service provider so you can make sure they bring the correct equipment the 1st time. Understand that towers tow cars, trucks, garbage trucks and tractor trailers everyday, most of the towers hate RVs becasue they dont tow them everyday. Most towers will help you in anyway they can. Your break down location will dictate the service you will recieve. Good luck !

BTW I have AAA RV PLUS as well as GOOD SAM!

If you do break down in your car, pick up or RV, please try to get to an area that is safe !!! Stay protected and out of traffic and please, please MOVE OVER when you see a disabled vehicle or emergency vehicle along side the roadway !!! In many states and providences it is the LAW!

BE SAFE

bacaye

Wehavefun...You just help educate this girl a little more. Thank you for your post and all the others. We have AAA for car and truck and GS too. I am just happy to learn something new everyday...Thanks, Barb

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have no idea how Good Sam ERS handles payments to its contractors, and really don't care. So long as they send someone when I call, they'll keep my business. As for AAA, I've stayed away from them since the first day I owned a car in high school (1966). Their rates were astronomical.