Front Cap Spider Cracks

Sandpirate69

In January before I parked the rig, I noticed some small cracks on the bottom left edge of the front cap. They are located on the non-door side. Here are a few photos. Can someone advise me if this is normal? Also, the last photo has looks like to me that there may be some water entering that area. I already contacted the dealer where I purchased the rig from. It' still under warranty, so i'm lead-footing it over next week. Can someone shed a little light on this? I would like to have an idea of what i'm looking at before I get to the dealer.

Thanks,
Ivan

Attachments

• _DSC2462.jpg
    _DSC2462.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 73
  • _DSC2459.jpg
    _DSC2459.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC2465.jpg
    _DSC2465.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 67

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'll just take a educated guess here. I looks like the corner was installed at the factory while it was under stress (not a perfict fit). Or it could have been pushed up from underneath at one time by the top of your trucks bed rail. Age can cause those fine spider web cracks but your unit isnt that old.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hard to see clearly, but it looks like the spider cracks are in the top coat on the panels. If the panel itself were cracked, you expect to see pieces missing. But it's most likely due to stress on the area.

Sandpirate69

I haven't hit the rig with the bed rails nor have i dropped it. Thats why im very concerned, but its under warranty. Would i have to take it to HL or will the dealer fix on sight, they do have a comprehensive shop.

Thx,
Ivan

h2o373k

I don't think you will have to return the rig to Heartland for such a small issue. Any good RV repair shop can handle that type of repair.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I had similar stress cracks along the top of my cap radiating from the attachment screws (gorilla on the screw gun?) Heartland paid to have the whole cap refinished and repaired at autobody shop including new decals.

tom

olcoon

I had a similar problem with the front cap of ours, except it was at the top corner, near the clearance light. Called Heartland & talked to them about it, and they felt it was due to when the front cap was installed the workers carrying it from the rack to the coach to install it probably brought the sides in too much, and the spider web cracks were the result. I wouldn't have noticed it, but I discovered it while waxing the rig. Had to take it to the dealer, & they sent it out to a body shop.