Rear Bumper Mounted Propane Grill

ZNK

I was just an RV show in Portland, OR and cam across an option that allows you to mount a quick connect BBQ grill on the rear pull out bumper on the North Trail. I am curious as to the durability of this mounting technique, versus the "on the outside wall" mounting technique. Additionally, does anyone know if this mount can be purchased without purchasing a grill? I already have a brand new Sidekick grill that I want to use if possible to cut costs. If someone has information on the mount, I am also interested in the price range.

Thanks to anyone that can answer!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't imagine how much bouncing goes on back there. The best advice I can give is to save your money and buy a WeberQ. I don't mean to sound nagative but the tail end of travel trailers and 5th wheels are notorious for bouncing in the rear.

ZNK

I see everyone recommending the WeberQ. Even my parents have it. Is it a quick connect propane grill? If so that just might be an option, Ill have to figure out a stand for it or something as well.

I do not want to put any extra holes in the exterior if I do not have to. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will sell the quick connect grill I have and use the profits towards the WeberQ....

jbeletti

Zack,

The Weber Q is an awesome grill. It has a regulator on it and requires pressure. Some of us use a T at a propane tank and feed the grill and the RV. Others have removed the regulator and used the low-pressure quick connect on some RVs.

I like Ray's idea. And you can add the T at the tank on the A section of the tongue. I got my kit at Camping World (or maybe Ace Hardware). I also got a second hose and connect 2 together for about 12 foot of range.

Jim

ZNK

Now these are the kinds of things I need to know about so that I do not spend unnecessary money on extra mounts, propane ports, etc. Thanks a lot!
This will be something I definitely consider when I am closer to buying.

Zack

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Zack, There is a stand available for the Weber and we have one but haven't used it much this year. I bought a folding table at Walmart for about $35 that takes up less room and holds both our WeberQ and a Charcoal smoker/grill. It measures 2'X4' open and is adjustable in height. We carry a 20# LP bottle for the Weber and that lasts us all winter. For me the 20# bottle allows me to put the grill wherever it's needed as opposed to being "tied" to the rig with an extension hose. I had that once too but there have been times we've brought the grill to another site for a group thing.

pegmikef

Zack, I use a low pressure quick connect grill off of the lp connection on the North Trail and just sit it on an adjustable height table as Ray described. I works great, but as was pointed out you are limited by the length of your hose. It is fine for us because we do a lot of cooking (anything greasy) outside and use the same table table for the appliances.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You will need to carry an extra Ll tank anyway. If you are going to need heat at all you will need one just in case. Save your money.

PeternLiane

Hi Zack,

I made a quick connect on the back of our North Trail. We will be getting a Weber Q later this summer. We use a Table that folds down to almost nothing and store it in the NT. We also use a Cobb Premier Grill. We love that little grill. We grill and smoke with it. Its the only grill you can move by hand while you're cooking. I will always have a Cobb Grill. It's small but works great for the two of us. I even cooked for 4 people on that little thing. All you have to use is 8 to 10 Charcoal briquettes in the fire basket. 1 bag of briquettes lasts all year plus.

GaryWT

I have the quick connect at the rear corner of my North Trail, I looked at getting the bumper attachment but did not, currently I am using a small table. One does not leave the grill attached while traveling so bouncing is not a problem. The unit attaches to the bumper similar to a spare tire mount. I think they go for a couple hundred but I am not sure.

I would never use the type that attach to the side of the trailer as I would not want heat, smoke and flames that close to the trailer.

As for the WeberQ, I looked into this but thought it came with more of a griddle type top and not a grill top where the grease drops to the bottom.

My North Trail came with a gas grill so I stopped looking at the Weber.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
As for the WeberQ, I looked into this but thought it came with more of a griddle type top and not a grill top where the grease drops to the bottom.

The Weber Q comes with a grill grate top, but you can buy a griddle top separately. We just bought ours 2 weeks ago.

PeternLiane

I have the quick connect at the rear corner of my North Trail, I looked at getting the bumper attachment but did not, currently I am using a small table. One does not leave the grill attached while traveling so bouncing is not a problem. The unit attaches to the bumper similar to a spare tire mount. I think they go for a couple hundred but I am not sure.

I would never use the type that attach to the side of the trailer as I would not want heat, smoke and flames that close to the trailer.

My North Trail came with a gas grill so I stopped looking at the Weber.

We used a RVQ 2000 on our SOB TT. The RVQ was put on rails that were attached to our TT right below out kitchen window. We used the RVQ everytime we camped. We never had an issue with it. The walls were never hot. I would not use it when the awning was extended. Just a precaution. We did like it. We decided that we would try smoke and charcoal. We loved it and then decided we wanted something else and bought the Cobb grill.

GaryWT

I guess it makes sense that if there was a problem they would not let you mount the grill on the side but I was always afraid that I would be the one with the problem.

smp2000

Does the quick disconnect propane port on the underside of the NT trailer provide enough pressure for regulated grills or do I need a non regulated grill? Also is there a length limit when adding an extension hose? I would assume not since the line already comes from the front of the trailer...

Manzan

We have an RVQ which we don't particularly like but I made up a 12' extension for the propane outlet on the side of the trailer. This way we can put the grill on the campsite table. Use it that way as much as on the side of the trailer. No problem with gas pressure at all. Want to get a Weber Q. It will fit in this trailer but would not on our previous SOB which was the same size as our 21FBS. Had an RVQ with that trailer as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes you have to use a non- regulated grill if you want to use the quick-connect on the trailer. Some I hear have removed the regulator on their grills or somehow made modifications to work correctly.

After our RVQ was stolen, we ended up buying an O-grill (has a regulator) and using the small propane bottles. It's really not that much hassle. And you are not tethered to the RV, so you can put the grill wherever the best shade is. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Does the quick disconnect propane port on the underside of the NT trailer provide enough pressure for regulated grills or do I need a non regulated grill? Also is there a length limit when adding an extension hose? I would assume not since the line already comes from the front of the trailer...

Non regulated grill. I use the Olympian 5500 when I have to use gas and it works great. We prefer charcoal, but a lot of places here in Texas often have restrictions on its use because of fire restrictions so I carry the gas grill as well and use the quick connect on my NT for it.

ZNK

I use the RVQ that came with the TT. The flames are usually quite small but allow me to enjoy the fresh air longer :) I do wish the pressure was a bit better.

smp2000

Thank you all for your input. All of the Heartland dealers should also use these forums as an added bonus when buying this brand. The owers and all of their input and advice is the best!!!! Thanks again to everyone who helped us get settled into our new TT...

ZNK

Thank you all for your input. All of the Heartland dealers should also use these forums as an added bonus when buying this brand. The owers and all of their input and advice is the best!!!! Thanks again to everyone who helped us get settled into our new TT...

Yes, that is one of our goals. To have dealers promote our owner's club. It is a "win-win" for the dealer and the buyer. The dealer gets a free addition that will help them sell the trailer and the buyer get the wealth of knowledge that comes from the club and forum!