Any one replaced rubber roof with aluminum

ACJ12501

I was concidering replacing our rubber roof with 1/16 in thick aluminum. We have had problems with the rubber one getting small holes when hit by small branches of trees.
I found a shop what would bend a 90 degree angle for the overhang on the sides. Was thinking about screwing then putting the rubber calk on all screw heads and seams in the aluminum.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Andy

jimtoo

Re: Any one replaced rubber roof with aliminum

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Can't say as I have heard of anyone doing it... I know it was brought up a year or so back I think. I would think as long as the roof is on one level like most TT and not have different levels like a 5th wheel it should work OK. If like a 5th wheel I would think it would be a lot of extra bending, sealing and work and expense.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

My initial thoughts are extra weight, more maintenance and limited flexing. We tend to be a little overcautious when going through areas with low branches overhanging the road. Most parks that we use are big rig friendly so there is very little chance of roof damage.
The older TT used to have metal roofs and they had to be recoated quite frequently. If metal roofs were a good idea, I think manufacturers would be using them.

57chevyconvt

As a person that has worked with aluminum in the sheet metal industry, I would not recommend replacing the EPDM rubber roof with aluminum. For the following reasons: 1. expansion of aluminum makes it difficult to maintain seals at the joints, 2. attaching the aluminum with screws to the wood roofing deck would be questionable because the expansion and contraction of the aluminum will constantly cause the screws to be moved around and therefore loosen their hold in the wood decking. The RV industry that uses aluminum roofs such as Airstream uses the same design as the aircraft industry. If you are serious about making the transition to aluminum roofing, first talk to some folks that in the metal roofing business about attachment and sealing at the construction joints. My thoughts.

Last edited: