Route from Milledgeville, GA. to Gatlinburg TN.

Now I would like advice on getting from Milledgeville, GA. to Gatlinburg, TN.
Milledgeville is about 25 miles Northeast of Macon,GA.
I was thinking of going back to I-75 and heading North, but I spent some time with the maps and was thinking of heading Northwest from Milledgeville over to I-40, then taking 321 into Smoky Bear RV park East of Gatlinburg.
I'm asking the Tennessee folks, or anyone else who have been through here, for their advice on this.
It looked like it may be a shorter route.
There are also some old US Highways (not interstates) in the area I had also considered.
I have been on I-75 and know the route, but have never been on I-40 or the old US routes.
What am I up against if I go this way?

Thanks

Hockster

=========================================================================================================================

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
There are other ways to get to Gatlinburg but pulling a coach like yours, I wouldn't take them because of the length of your BC and the switchbacks/grades of the roads + single lanes. We live off of I-75 (exit 81) in Lenoir City, Tn and do take Hwy 321 to Townsend, TN then over to Hwy 72 to the back side of Gatlinburg but only in the car. When we camp at Smoky Bear, we always go I-40 to Newport (exit 435) and then back down to the Gat. It's the safest route with our BC.

NABO I understand what you are saying.
What I'm looking for in my latest post is a route from Macon, GA area into 321.
Should I take North I-75 or go over to I-40 from Macon, Ga into 321.
I will be leaving Milledgeville, Ga. (about 25 miles Northeast of Macon) I was thinking of going Northeast out of Milledgeville, Ga and picking up I-40 North then into 321, instead of going the 25 Miles back to Macon to pickup North I-75, then connect to I-40 then pickup 321.
I would assume that I-40 would be a good route North into Tennessee, but I don't know what to expect getting to I-40 from Milledge Georgia.
Let me know what you think of this route.

Hockster

=========================================================================================================================================

Nabo

I did a trip kit from your town to Gatlinburg and didn't like the way it routed you because it takes you thru Cherokee, NC to Gatlinburg on Hwy 441. I wouldn't take the camper that way at all. When I get home, I'll double check the trucking route atlas and see what they say.

porthole

Retired
I did a trip kit from your town to Gatlinburg and didn't like the way it routed you because it takes you thru Cherokee, NC to Gatlinburg on Hwy 441. I wouldn't take the camper that way at all. When I get home, I'll double check the trucking route atlas and see what they say.

Nathan, I've done that route several times - on the bike!
As you already mentioned ----- need to try and stay on the interstates. Even with that, if he comes north on 40 they will still get to experience one of the reason s we ride in that area - never ending ups and downs and twists in the road!

I've seen a fair share of MH's and trailers on 441, 28 and 19. Would not want to take mine though.

Much easier with a big vehicle to just go the long way which usually ends up being the "short" route anyway (time and comfort level)

Last edited:

Nabo

Hockster - after checking the trucker's atlas, parts of hwy 441 thru GA is ok till you get to the mountains in northern GA. Once you cross I-85 up to Mountain City into NC, it is not a trucker route so I wouldn't go that way at all. If you want to go 441 to I-85 N into SC, hitting I-26 W to Asheville, NC where you will get on I-40 W thru the mountains to Newport, TN - that's another way to go without going thru Atlanta. It's an ok ride but the passes thru the mountains on I-40 is restricted to trucker using only the right lane so sometimes it's slow going depending on the truckers caravan. Good luck.

Thanks for the information Nathan.
I will go back the 25 miles to I-75 in Macon, GA and head North into Tennessee.
I thank you for the time you have spent on me, and I hope to someday meet you at a Heartland Rally.
Thank You again my friend.

Gary
aka (Hockster)

=======================================================================================================================================

Nabo

Not a problem. Hope things will work out for you. Travel safely and yes, hope to meet ya'll too ;).

porthole

Retired
So Gary - a Google search of USARTHAISUP Association only brings up two links, both are your posts on this forum.

What is it?

Duane, I guess I'm at a loss as to you finding only two links to USARSUPTHAI ASSOCIATION.
I just Googled it and came up with all kinds of information
USARSUPTHAI stands for US ARMY SUPPORT THAILAND ASSOCIATION.
USARSUPTHAI was the Umbrella Organization for All Army Units in Thailand.
This is a group of Thailand Veterans, mostly Army, who served there during the Vietnam War.
We were responsible for getting the Bombs, to the Air Force to drop on North Vietnam.
We built the roads and base camps and ran the Deep Water Port, and helped the Air Force build their bases.
We supported the Air Force Mission.
I'm a member of this association as well as the TLC Brotherhood.
TLC meaning Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood.
This is a group of Veterans, mostly Air Force, who served in Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia during the Vietnam War.
We were all part of the Secret War.
Yes, we had men in Laos and Cambodia though the government denied that.
Most people don't know that over 85% of the air strikes on North Vietnam came out of Thailand.
We had many Air Bases located there for Fighter Bombers and around January of 1967 we also got the B-52 Bombers.
The 519 Transportation Association is another Thailand group.
These were the line haul guys, the Truckers, who did the hauling of Bombs and whatever needed to be hauled in country.

Hockster

porthole

Retired
Duane, I guess I'm at a loss as to you finding only two links to USARSUPTHAI ASSOCIATION.
I just Googled it and came up with all kinds of information
USARSUPTHAI stands for US ARMY SUPPORT THAILAND ASSOCIATION.
USARSUPTHAI was the Umbrella Organization for All Army Units in Thailand.

Figured it out.
Your signature has: USARTHAISUP Association
This post has: USARSUPTHAI

USARTHAISUP: this brings up only the 2 Heartland posts

USARSUPTHAI: this brings up al the other info out on the web, at least a hundred pages

My screwup, I will correct it. I never caught it before. Thanks.

Hockster

====================================================================================================================================