COMPARING iNSURANCES ON RV

Mike & Carol

Getting some quotes together....does anyone have an opinion on Blue Sky RV (they combine inurabce for RV and road hazard)vs. Good Sam vs. ??

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You'll probably get a lot of responses on GS. We have Progressive Insurance, and Roadside Assistance through them. I have been very happy with their RA and claims handling. They also offer disappearing deductible and full replacement. You can get quotes online, and if you need help, they respond quickly via email.

E

donr827

You'll probably get a lot of responses on GS. We have Progressive Insurance, and Roadside Assistance through them. I have been very happy with their RA and claims handling. They also offer disappearing deductible and full replacement. You can get quotes online, and if you need help, they respond quickly via email.

E

X2 I got a quote from GS and they were $300 a year more then Progressive.
Don

MTPockets

I've oft wondered how one Insurance company (A) can claim to be $300 less than company (B) .... then, company (B) makes the same claim about (A)...... Two years ago, we shopped Progressive, Geico, Allstate, State Farm, and a couple others I forget, and ended up through Good Sam who used GMAC Insurance and we saved a bundle over all the others - same coverage, same vehicles ..... Go figure!

donr827

I've oft wondered how one Insurance company (A) can claim to be $300 less than company (B) .... then, company (B) makes the same claim about (A)...... Two years ago, we shopped Progressive, Geico, Allstate, State Farm, and a couple others I forget, and ended up through Good Sam who used GMAC Insurance and we saved a bundle over all the others - same coverage, same vehicles ..... Go figure!

As a retired insurance agent I might give a little insight on the question. One item that insurance companies use to set their rates is the past years claim experience in all areas of the country. Sometimes insurance companies who are looking at expanding their book of business will charge less then they should but will increase their rates later on. Remember they all are in business to make money.
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we first went full time, we had Progressive on both the RV & truck. I wanted both under the same provider and PG offered the best premium and coverage for full timers along with disappearing deductibles. For reasons related to state income tax, we "relocated" to IL using our sons address. Our truck premium almost doubled so we shopped again. Went with 21st Century on the truck for close to what we were paying with PG for the same coverage. We kept the RV with Progressive because of the full timers coverage.
We shopped Good Sam and AARP but neither could come close. We were also surprised to find out that your credit score has a lot to do with your premium.
21st doesn't offer RV coverage comparing to PG but does have disappearing deductibles.

Ray is exactly correct. Different insurers use different data points to manage their risk. That's why you see such varying rates from different companies. Each one thinks they have the proprietary advantage to maximize profit, manage risk, and attract new premiums. Personally, I have Progressive but I fit their profile to a "t". My brother-in-law got a quote and apparently he was a square peg for their program. He went with a competitor and found something real close to what I had. Bottom line...multiple quotes until you find where you belong.

bobber

We have our RV insurance thru Foremost. I am a retired insurance agent and represented them for several years. I have not found anything negative.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have our RV insurance thru Foremost. I am a retired insurance agent and represented them for several years. I have not found anything negative.

We've had Foremost on the TT and now the 5'er. No complaints, either, and they're quick to service a claim.

wildwolfproducts

Been looking at insurance on the Key Largo were looking at orders. Best price was with Blue Sky RV, more coverage. And price was so much better, it had me wondering if it was for real? Less then half the price of our local person that has everything we own covered. And a 1/3 of progressive. Go figure...
Pete

gjackson

X2 Good Sam (GMAC) was hundreds less than the others. Last year had a small increase but it was nothing compared to the original quotes we received.

pegmikef

We've had Foremost on the TT and now the 5'er. No complaints, either, and they're quick to service a claim.

Yep, I too have Foremost (actually all my stuff is through Farmers Group but they use Foremost for specialty) and they are quick. When a low hanging roof attacked my roof last year they replaced it based on a phone call and some pictures I emailed them. Three weeks from point of damage to new roof. They did bump up my premium about fifty bucks, but I figure it will take a lot of increased premiums to make up for the 4K plus they paid for the roof.

mmomega

AnyTimer
We have State Farm and for the life of me I can't remember how much it is for the RV alone but we pay about $350/month and this is for the new 2011 F350, 2007 F350, the Key Largo, Nissan 240SX for stepson, 3 Honda 4 wheelers and life insurance. This is the 500,000/1,000,000/500,000 coverage, yes we're over-covered a bit.