where is the ac switch for converter?

yippi

NFL Fans
On vacation in Texas ..after a night stay in S>P. my my break cable on my pin got pulled out.. after reinserting I lost all power to the trailer on dc .. checked battery ok 12.4.. read on inverters checked by pulling positive wire off and reading with a volt meter it is ok 13.3.. it also say check ac switch in trailer ..WHERE is it ? We own 2008 bighorn 3670RL..can anyone help?:mad:

jnbhobe

How long was the breakaway switch pulled ?? Look for a breaker popped they are in the battery compartment. look for a little reset button on the side under the red covers. The converter has 3 30amp fuses on it. It is located behind the basement wall in the storage compartment, but I think that would only effect charging the batteries.

Rickhansen

Yippi, Not exactly sure what you're looking for.

If the convertor is supplying 13.3 VDC, then it has 120 VAC going to it. My best guess is that the main DC circuit breaker (30 amp, I think) from the battery (pos) is tripped. 12.4 VDC indicates a full charge on the battery itself. The main DC circuit breaker is located in the compartment by your hydraulic pump and primary battery tray. It looks like a large terminal block with a red rubber cover. The breaker reset switch is very difficult to see, but if you feel around it you will find it. I've seen pictures posted on the forum in other posts, so if you do a search, you will likely find a good picture of it. I guess I'd also double check the break-away switch, inserting (or pulling) the pin shouldn't have caused any inrush of current to trip the breaker.

By the way, the inverter should be fed from a dedicated 15 amp breaker in your AC breaker panel.

Hope this helps.

wdk450

Yippi:
The trailer disconnect switch should be wired DIRECTLY TO THE POSITIVE POST OF THE BATTERY WITH NO FUSES OR CIRCUIT BREAKERS IN BETWEEN. The other side of the switch should be wired to the electric brakes activation wire in the trailer chassis. In this one case, it is more desirable to risk an electrical fire than to have a disconnected trailer on the road that won't stop because a fuse or circuit breaker has tripped.
If your trailer was plugged in to AC power, and the converter was on, and the disconnect switch was tripped (closed), probably the circuit breaker from the converter to the battery would trip as the converter tries to supply all of the current the electric brakes consume. This would be one of the DC circuit breakers by the battery with the TINY, TINY,TINY red reset button under the red rubber insulator on the breaker. The correct breaker might be the 2nd from the top, according to a diagram in the "manuals" section of the Heartland Owners Tools tab at the top of this page. Make sure that the disconnect switch is truly open by measuring the terminals with a voltmeter before resetting the circuit breaker.
As someone said before, the converter switch would be the circuit breaker for it on the AC panel.
I think that the DC fuse panel is tied to the converter output point. This point is connected/isolated from the battery through the "converter" 12 volt circuit breaker.

yippi

NFL Fans
:rolleyes: You guys are great what an easy fix. nothing I found said that switch was there..

thank you so much ..I knew someone here had an idea what this was .

thank you ,,Yippi :angel:

Rickhansen

That's what we're all here for, but I always feel compelled to encourage folks to work their way through issues methodically, and to use the search tools of the forum. There are many years of knowledge archived in the tens of thousands of posts on this site, and it's not too hard to find many answers and ideas just by searching.

Happy trails.