More Power!

JimBobWay

For my third post, I have questions around inverter power. My 2009 Big Horn 3055RL is a 50amp unit but I'd like to be running some of the items that run off of AC, like the microwave and air conditioner and TV/DVD player. I'm thinking all I really need is a 3000 Watt inverter, or do I need to step it up to the 6000W unit? Now, how about battery draw then. Obviously, one battery is going to drain quickly, will two hold out for the night? I'm thinking I can get a generator to recharge during the day but I surely don't want that noise at night. Am I on the right track?
Thanks in advance
Jim

hoefler

Purchase a quieter generator. The cost of the inverter and the batteries you will need will cost an arm and a leg. Plus, with the A/C running, your batteries would not last very long, and you may not get them fully charged for the next night.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

You're going to get a lot of feedback here. I also encourage you to go back one level and read a lot of the threads about inverters and what it takes for sizing and batteries.

The 50 amp item you mention is the "converter". This item converts 110 VAC to 12 VDC to do 2 things. 1) to charge your coach battery and 2) to power all the DC devices in the coach.

You are on the right track in terms of needing an inverter to run AC powered items when you don't have shore power available and don't want to run the generator (all night).

So sizing is what you are after first. Sizing will correspond to what all you will need to run "at the same time". After you get inverter sizing down (2000, 3000 etc.), then you need to determine how much run time you need. This will dictate how much storage (batteries) you'll need.

I'll let others who are experienced in these areas take it from here. I will add though that unless you are willing to invest a very large sum of $$, you will not be running your air conditioner on inverter power. At least not for long. That said, I've seen a very cool system in a Landmark that uses several very large Lifeline AGM batteries and a large inverter and they can run their air conditioning for many hours. I'm guessing they have $7k to $10k in their setup, which also includes a nice rooftop solar array to help charge the batteries during the day when they are involved in black power shooting competitions. Very nice system and well executed.

Jim

brianharrison

I am just doing this in my Landmark, and I have purchased a 3000W Inverter/Charger, 4 new 6 volt batteries, wiring, plus new sub panel for inverter loads. All in for parts I spent $1500 or so, and I am doing the installation. Add $500 or so for installation for a professional. I have only moved plug ins (for coffee pot, TV/DVD) and microwave to inverter subpanel (4 circuits). I will not be able to run AC, water heater, tank heaters, ceiling fan, washer/dryer, central vac, or fireplace on inverter. These loads are too great and I would need way more battery capacity and bigger inverter to do so.

Two companion 2000W Honda generators (4000W total) will be about $2000. And you can run everything.

Brian

JimBobWay

Thanks guys. I'm really going to have to RV outside of the Arizona desert during summer so I don't need that A/C much. I'm thinking the two Honda Generator setup is the way to go. I may just have to get a small inverter for my breather during the night.

PUG

Pug
Using an inverter to change
dc current to ac is a hard way to go. I do that on my sailboat because I don't have an ac generator, only an alternator and solar which are only dc. I use the invertor to power a small microwave and even then it sucks the batterys quick. If you are having a need for ac p0wer you have two choices, plug into ac in a campground or get a generator. The dual hondas are nice but also run a pretty good price. Check into the Champion gens also sold at camping world or cabelos. I purchased the 3500/4000 unit from cabelos and love it especially the price.

When you talk about a breather what are you talking about? If you are talking CPAP like I have, my unit has ac power or dc power. I use the dc power plug in when in my sailboat or dry camping in my 5er. the dual batteries have no problem at all to run it on dc but if you run yours first through a small invertor you will be using a lot more battery power going through the invertor. Check your cpap and see if you can't get a dc plug to plug it into a 12 volt plug in, most do....

DougS

Doug S
JimBobWay,
I run my rig on a 2,000 watt pure wave inverter on two 12 volt batteries. I set my system up to energize my whole rig, but of cause the air, electric water heater, refrig on electric and will not be run. I also installed a switch to shut my 80 amp converter off. I get about 5-6 hours of TV, and can usually run a small fan all night. I can also use the paddle fan on the ceiling.
i use two Honda gen through a 30 amp shore line installed through the king pin. Usually an hour of charging with a 15 amp portable battery charger and I'm back in business for the day.
i can also run one large user of electric at a time like the toaster, electric coffee pot, and hair dryer. Total investment under $800 for the inverter, wire, and 30 amp transfer switch. One key thing to remember, use as thick of a wire as you can find between the battery and inverter, and keep the wire under 6 feet. I used O wire and only three feet of wire.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would get a 3-4K generator and leave it the TV. We can't hear ours if we leave it running all night. When we travel it stays in the TV. I did however install a plug in the front of the Horn and wired it into the main AC panel. I made an extension cord to go from the generator to the front of the Horn. It's a no muss no fuss setup.