Road Warrior 30C - Actual Weights

Hi,

We have been looking at a RW 30C, and really like the trailer, but as usual, weight may be a problem. I'd be towing with a 2006 GMC Sierra, 6.6L Duramax, Short Box, Crew Cab, 4X4, 3.73 gears. Looks as though there's no problem with GCWR, but the 30C lists the weight on the pin as 2900 lbs...my truck's max weight of the back axle is 3000 lbs.

Does anyone have a pin weight on their 30C loaded with water, toys in the back, ready to go? I know your weight won't be the same as mine, but I'm curious what effect having the trailer loaded will have on the pin weight.

Thanks!

Dave

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
You will be fine with your truck the good news is that toy haulers are designed to have a heavy pin weight because of the axle placement being further back (60/40 as opposed to traditional 50/50 placement for weight distribution). The other important thing to remember is that for around ever 2lbs of garage weight, you will be taking off nearly 1lbs of pin weight. Think of the axles as the fulcrum point of teeter todder.

You will be fine with your truck the good news is that toy haulers are designed to have a heavy pin weight because of the axle placement being further back (60/40 as opposed to traditional 50/50 placement for weight distribution). The other important thing to remember is that for around ever 2lbs of garage weight, you will be taking off nearly 1lbs of pin weight. Think of the axles as the fulcrum point of teeter todder.

Thanks, AJ, that's a good point. I would be putting a 700 lb motorcycle in the garage, along with 2 kayaks (130 lbs) and the usual amount of other "stuff", so say a total of nearly 900 lbs, which by your reckoning would lighten the pin by about 400 lbs.

Any chance the potable water tank is behind the axles as well?

Thanks!

Dave

AJJONES

No most our tanks are directly over or In front of the axles. I wouldn't be concerned we use the same trucks for our company trucks. The 30C towes AMAZING especially with the TI technology. I wouldnt be to concerned about to much pin weight. It's a lot safer to be a little higher on the pin weight than to light on pin weight (now that is a scary ride). If you have any doubts I would simply add some additional helper springs, or even better an air bag set up.

Thanks for the info. We've gone from considering a Cyclone 3010 (didn't make the cut...not enough room on the sides of the bed :confused:), to a Torque 301...but the 30C or CY300C have been our favorite floorplans. We haven't seen either unit yet, we want to be fairly sure about the details first, since it's a long drive for us to see any of the trailers (except the 3010, which we have seen).

Drifting off topic a little, what is the difference between the RW30C and the CY300C...? On paper they both appear to be the same unit....are there any significant differences?

Thanks!

Dave

AJJONES

As far as the floorplan goes there is nothing they are the same. The major difference is in the looks and features that the two different brands offer. It really is simply picking out which style suits your taste.

sJv

There used to be a couple of differences:
Cyclone had solid surface counters in the bathroom, RW doesn't.
Cyclone uses a higher quality fiberglass than RW.

Things change so fast on these things from month to month that those differences may be gone by now.

We have a 300C and love it! We love the roomy floorplan and interior appointments. I haven't towed it fully loaded with toys over long distances, but the ~200 miles I did tow was fine with my 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD with air bags. I upgraded my tires to Nitto Duragrapplers that have a 3750lb payload to be safe. I see the stock ~3000 lb rated tires as the weak link that is what limits the GAWR to 6000lbs.

-steve

taken

Not sure on the actual weights, but I can assure you, your truck will be fine. You didn't mention whether you had a 3500 or a 2500. We have a one ton Ford and with nothing in the garage the truck squats to just a touch below level and comes up to level with 1000 in the garage. If you had a 3/4 ton, you will need an airbag system or helper springs but that's an easy $300 fix. You will love the trailer! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask me...

Rodney

Just to update...we finally "pulled the trigger" and are now Heartland Owners...though not of a 30C, but rather a Cyclone 300C. Drove down to Elkhart to get it...little disappointed we couldn't buy it locally, but there simply is nothing to look at in our part of Canada. Did get a factory tour in, though, so that was nice.

The trailer towed just fine behind our truck...very pleased. We were looking at a Cyclone 3010 or the 300C...spoke to a transport driver who we ran into, said he'd rather tow the 300C any day over the 3010. I've never towed the 3010, but the 300C is a pretty smooth ride. I never bottomed out in two days of driving, though I am still installing airbags, just to level things out.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions...this forum definitely played a role in our decision to purchase Heartland.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Dave and Colleen,

Welcome to the Heartland family. I own the 3010 and could not be happier with it - I am so very sure you are going to love your 300C as well. You will continue to receive great input from other Heartland Owners here. These forums continue to be a great source of information and ideas for me. Please consider Joining the Heartland Owners Club and look for Rallies in your area.

Kevin

Birchwood

I am assuming your GMC is a 3/4 ton otherwise you wouldn't be concerned about weights.A 3/4 ton is only
rated for a pin weight of less than 2000 lbs so you will require a 1 ton for your RW

DW_Gray

Well it may be too late now. But I'd recommend you read the article shown in my signature, Before You Buy...

You didn't say if you had the 2500 or the 3500. If it's the 2500, I think the maximum trailer weight (MTW) is 12,000 pounds. That will put you overweight by 2,000 pounds or possibly more. On the other hand, I just noticed that the MTW appears to be very conservative when compared to the CGWR on some models of GMCs.