Need Advice for Big Trip

funntheson

Most of the trips we do are local (100 miles or less each way). There is an occasional longer trip (250-300 miles each way). This Summer we will take a little longer trip (700-800 miles each way). Next Summer, we are tentatively planning a much bigger trip (2500+ miles each way). I am looking for any kind of advice on what I should bring for my truck and trailer, and any other tips that all of you that are more experienced with these kinds of trips could provide.

Larry

CliffP

One thing I keep in the glove box at all times is a tire plug kit. It seems like screws and nails always find my tires. I've put in 4 plugs in the last year (three in my wifes ride - they like her tires even more than mine).
Good luck on your travels!
Cliff

RoadJunkie

Larry, I think you've already done some shorter trips, and longer trips are just a bunch of short ones. I always assume I can buy what I need on the road for the long term maintenance items,e.g., distilled water for batteries. Be sure you have plenty of brake linings, lube the hubs, ect., while you have the rig at home. It's likely your experience on the short trips has led you to carry the necessary items. Have fun, relax, and enjoy your rig.

caissiel

After averaging 500 miles per wekfor 37 years with my vehicles I can say that if you cansafely do 300 miles a longer trip is a series of short trips. I usualy do checks everytime I stop that is trailer visual checks and constant observation of truck gauges.

Birchwood

We have Good Sam Road service insurance that gives us peace of mind if we break down on the freeway.
Each time we stop I touch the wheel centers for excessive heat buildup and halfway through a 2000 mile
trip I will check the torque on the trailers wheel lugs.I have found them loose especially after brake and wheel
bearing servicing.An air compressor is a convenient item to have on board as most service stations will not
bring your RV wheels over 80 lbs.My RV requires 110 lbs and you would need to visit a truck shop for this
kind of pressure.

ctuna0203

First thing to take is a second spare tire for the 5th wheel. We are full timers,which we fully enjoy. You will need different types of clothing,never know what the weather will do. I also recommend having a fireproof lock box for your valuables. If you need cash and there is not one of your bank branches,you can always use your debit card at walmart. I could go on forever,but the best advice is to use common sense. remember that you are restricted by space. If you think you will need it take it,if not leave it home. 2008 FORD F350 Super Crew,XLT 4X2,Longbed,6.4powerstroke,5speed auto torqueflite. 2009 Bighorn 3580 RL. Good luck

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My advice for any of your travels is to loose the debit card and join a credit union that has ATM cards that are just that and nothing more. Most credit unions belong to the NCUA and you have free ATM access nationwide through them. I absolutely refuse to whip out a debit card and once a final transaction clears, we're telling our soon to be former bank where they can stick them. Nothing like being charged a penalty for NOT using it often enough (even as an ATM card) to make them happy.

gebills

Greetings funntheson:
Regurgitating the advice from Birchwood, the Good SamRoadside Assistance policy is comforting piece of mind should a problem occurthat necessitates that kind of assistance.
Regarding items we carry with us, I’m certain that are manyother forum members that have more experience that I, and a list could getlengthy, but some of the more important items we carry are a 3KW gen set, a135psi air compressor with appropriate hose and air chuck, a good assortment ofhand tools (making certain you have the hand drivers with appropriate bits forsome of the odd screws found on the RV), a cordless drill, a VOM meter, abottle jack, articulating rechargeable flashlights, RV and TV fuses and bulbs, andall the assorted paraphernalia that one would associate with RV’ing. This list could be endless. As was stated previously, if you suspicion you’llneed it, take it.
Something I do without fail, whether we are towing 100miles, 2,500 miles or across town, is after hitching the 5’er up to the TV, latchingthe hitch and testing it, is to put a padlock on the hitch so it can not beunlatched without taking off the padlock. Not that I would suspect some unscrupulous or devious individual tounlatch the 5’er while DW and I are away from the rig shopping or having lunchsomewhere, but it is something I’ve got in the habit of doing and gives mepiece of mind.
As we travel, we use whatever rest stops or parking areasnecessary to give us a break from riding. When stopping, I always check the tire sidewalls and wheel hubs for excessiveheat buildup. I check running and signal lights several times during long tripsto make certain something hasn’t failed during the trip. An excellent tool forRV tires is a TPMS set for monitoring RV tire pressure. The horror stories that I read on this forumof RV’ers who have blown tires while travelling scare me silly.
Items we find of good assistance is while driving longdistances, is Woodall’s RV Park guide and Trailer Life’s RV guide. Additionally, if you’re a smart phone user(i.e. and iphone or Droid) there is a Woodall’s app that will help locate ratedparks while you travel. Happy Trails andsafe travels, gebills.

mikeandconnie

Hi, I been East Coast to West Coast and back 4 times the last 2 years. My Aux Fuel tank with a 800 mile range really makes the long trips nice.

porthole

Retired
Infrared non touch thermometer for chekcing wheels - these have become fairly inexpensive for what they are.

For that long trip I would carry one spare set of fuel filters and whatever you need to change them. On your truck it would be a 1 1/4" socket for the frame mount and a 9/32 (IIRC) for the engine mount.
Along with something to hold the old filters and drained diesel I use plastic 3 pound coffee cans. The filers are actually fairly easy to change once you figure it out.

And along with that, I now have a spare frame mounted canister (called a cap fy Ford) with a new drain plug and water sensor already installed. Makes for an easier filter change.