Day/night shades

RSIG

Second shade in the last month broke today. One is being replaced tomorrow by dealer under warranty. My previous unit was an 09 Bighorn and I never had a problem with the shades. Speaking to a few other owners this seems to be a on going issue with all shades including SOB trailers. Is there a fix for this problem? It appears the cord used does not stand up to regular use. The unit has been great other than this new issue. Have to compliment Lazydays Florida and Heartland for excellent service.

Thanks.
Ed

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We haven't broken any...yet...in ours, but we got fed up with the big rear window shade and replaced it with a Levelor vertical blind from Lowe's. Way better.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The best way to prevent cords from breaking is to adjust the tension on the strings. Adjust the tension equally on both sides and only enough tension so that the upper section stays put when you move the lower section. The test. Move the upper section about half way up then raise the lower section. If the upper barely stays put, your good to go.
In other words, too much tension causes short cord life.

jdfishing

I've had three break and all for the same reason. The screws they used to attach the top of the shade to the wall rub the cord causing it to fray and subsequently break. I used a slightly heavier cord in the repair and wrapped it with clear tape in the area where it comes into contact with the screw. No repeat failures yet.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The best way to prevent cords from breaking is to adjust the tension on the strings. Adjust the tension equally on both sides and only enough tension so that the upper section stays put when you move the lower section. The test. Move the upper section about half way up then raise the lower section. If the upper barely stays put, your good to go.
In other words, too much tension causes short cord life.

Exactly !!!... I have replaced the cord in my DN shades until we had 2" wood blinds installed in Mission TX.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had three break and all for the same reason. The screws they used to attach the top of the shade to the wall rub the cord causing it to fray and subsequently break. I used a slightly heavier cord in the repair and wrapped it with clear tape in the area where it comes into contact with the screw. No repeat failures yet.

I guess I should have mentioned this as well. When we restrung ours, I had to make sure the string was routed away from the screws. As jdfishing mentions, this is also a good area to look for problems. Ours were all broken in the middle area.