Residential refrigerator

catadj

Has anyone swapped out their dometic with a residential? I have a landmark key largo and the fridge is having the same problems as most everyone else. I would like to put in a residential and would like to know what all is involved in the swap.

Thanks

porthole

Retired
We have a residential fridge on our boat. Works good. But we are either always connected to shore power, have the generator running or only doing short runs without power.
Something to think about there.

I would consider doing a residential only because it would fit in with other plans.
We already have a generator.
My truck is equipped with dual alternators with an over 300 amp capacity.

To do the residential fridge I would run a 4 6-volt battery bank (golf cart batteries) and a 3KW inverter, true sine wave.
The bigger and better inverters are equipped with an automatic transfer switch and built in battery charger.

A 2 line in/2 line out inverter would allow almost seamless transfer of power.

Pricey way to get a residential fridge.

Although, many folks travel with their propane off anyway. So if you can go 5-6 hours without power you should be fine.

Don't forget - the doors don't lock.

catadj

Thanks for all the info. I work full time from my camper and I am always connected to power. I also have an on board generator. So I think I'm good on power option.
I guess my biggest question is, how do I get the fridge out of the camper? Is it as simple as pulling it out or is it bolted in place? I haven't really looked into it much yet, but have made up my mind that I think this is the best option.

Thanks

eddylives

The fridge will be held in with screws that are hidden behind decorative trim and the bottom of mine had two or so screws at about a 45 deg angle that are under little plugs to hide the hole. Not knowing what your fridge is its just a few of the things to look for when you try.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess my biggest question is, how do I get the fridge out of the camper? Is it as simple as pulling it out or is it bolted in place? I haven't really looked into it much yet, but have made up my mind that I think this is the best option.

Thanks
In addition to screws in the front that are covered by a trim plate, there are probably 2 in the back that are accessible after removing the outer vent. The only issue you may have with a residential will be the front to rear depth. The smaller RV units, 8 and 10 cu. ft. models are easily replaced because the dimensions are close to a 12 cu. ft. residential type. Be careful, the RV fridge is pretty heavy too.