Street side Cargo door

blkdodge

We have a 2012 Landmark San Antonio, and the street side cargo door will open all the way flush with the propane door. Has anyone ever put a shock or some type of limiting device on this door? If it gets alittle breezy this door will slam against the propane door. I dont want to screw up my paint or the doors.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you sure don't want to mess up a beautiful paint job. I know that even my plain white door will get dented if I am not careful.
I know of one guy that added a chain and spring to his door. Kinda like the one found on a house screen door.
The wind ripped his out two times already. I guess though that it would work if you were careful in the wind.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's also no fun getting whacked in the back by a plain white door, either. Some of us have resorted to this remedy. Who knows, maybe it's available in designer colors.

View attachment 18233

blkdodge

Great idea John
But I really dont want to have that latch on the outside, I thought of that bought one, held it up to the doors and said to myself. THIS AINT GONNA HAPPEN. It would be such a big deal to me if it wasnt a combo cargo/dump center door. I will figure something out and if it's worth a/posting I will.

Thanks for the ideas

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It took some mental coaxing for me to mount it, too. I considered some kind of control arm or chain, but figured they would then be in my face when I was trying to work in the basement or move things. The lightweight construction of the doors also requires some kind of backing for anything mounted to it. Behind both door mounts on mine are pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheet and I used stainless steel machine bolts to mount the bracket.

brianharrison

I have a lightweight screen door closer that I am going to install. Like this. I have not installed it yet but have been comtemplating how to do it..... One of those 'round tuits'.

My thinking is the screen door closer will prevent full 180 opening, but I can prop it open at any angle up to 90 with the closer installed. Anything over that and I can remove the pin in the closer and open wide. Similar to the screen door on the house.

Thoughts.....

Take care,
Brian

EDIT: Just saw this post on Door Shock Absorber. This may also work, and could possibly be installed on the inside? And I see Teejay also has the same idea for the screen door closer. Darn, I am not original... Oh well.....:)

Last edited:

DougS

Doug S
I have a 2011 GC which I believe is a similar door setup. I use a Hatch Holder which is a spring that when it is straight is stiff and acts as a arm. If the wind comes up, the spring expands but hold the door back enough from hitting the propane door. I bought stainless steel Hatch Holder from West Marine. I have metal doors on the side door, so additional support is not necessary. I use the same Hatch Holder for the front basement door, but had to mount it on a mending plate with double sided tape and 6 screens because the inside of the door is very thin metal.

Attachments

• Hatch Spring 2.JPG
    Hatch Spring 2.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Hatch Spring 3.JPG
    Hatch Spring 3.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Hatch Spring 1.JPG
    Hatch Spring 1.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 36

brianharrison

I have a 2011 GC which I believe is a similar door setup. I use a Hatch Holder which is a spring that when it is straight is stiff and acts as a arm. If the wind comes up, the spring expands but hold the door back enough from hitting the propane door. I bought stainless steel Hatch Holder from West Marine. I have metal doors on the side door, so additional support is not necessary. I use the same Hatch Holder for the front basement door, but had to mount it on a mending plate with double sided tape and 6 screens because the inside of the door is very thin metal.

That's an innovative method Doug. Thanks for the idea.

PS - I just modified my battery compartment for 4-6 Volts GC batteries. I'll send some pics when I download them. Not sure if you've done this yet or found another place for 6 volts.

Brian

blkdodge

Doug
That is a great idea. Is the spring just one of those you would use on a screen door? 2 latch brackets from West Marine thats great I have one close to me. It looks like you attached the 2nd bracket on the underside of the basement ceiling.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and please keep them coming
David

DougS

Doug S
David,
On my SOB I used heavy screen door springs which I cut to size inside the rig, I had many different size cabinet doors. For this rig, I bought the West Marine product because it has brackets and is stainless.