Let's talk about Air bags for my truck

wingfoot

I am thinking about adding air bags to my 05' F250. I've looked at Firestone's Ride Rite and Timberans...They both look like good products. Just wondering how much of a hassle it is to air up/down as I don't always have availability to an air supply.
BTW, I have an approximate 1.75" to 2.00" sag on my rear end.

Would like to have some input from anyone using the above.
My intent is to level up the rear of my truck. While it's not bad, I just want to level it up a bit and maybe improve the ride.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Larry

jnbhobe

I used to think that Timbrens were the way to go but after having air bags on the 06 truck it will always be air bags. My next addition will be an automatic air controler for adjustment. So far I have just set the height at around 35# and forget it. The only adjustments I have made is when the temps change a lot.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Firestone Air Bags and the Air Lift remote controller with compressor. I can change the pressure 'on the fly' while driving and even while standing away from the truck. The remote controller also allows me to have different psi on each side of the truck to balance the load better. It is the only way to go IMHO. With the on board compressor you do not have to worry about compressor access.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have the ride rite bags on this truck and my previous one. I have a single valve filling so both bags are equally pressured and if one bag were to collapse then both would deflate so that both sides stayed level. I purchased a 12 volt air pump for filling them up and I also installed an exterior power outlet at the rear of truck box for easy access to fill them, my air ride hitch and the Centrepoint suspension. It seems to work very well. Installation was easy and anyone can do it.

wingfoot

Thanks guys for the responses.
I've been on line and some sites say you can not use the system with an installed 5r hitch...Now, that just doesn't sound right..Too many using the system.
If any of you guys are using this system (Firestone) would you happen to know the model number and where to buy?

thanks again

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Make sure you enter the correct details of your truck to get the correct part number. #2398 may be for your truck. Link
The system will perform better if the fill inlets are seperated. (less sway)

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 65

brianharrison

I have Firestone RideRites with manual fill. I use a bicycle pump with gauge. I have separate fill lines, routed to the back bumper. I drilled through the lower mounting holes of the license plate, and inserted the air valves through there.

Brian

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I installed the Firestone on my Dodge. No to big a deal, I had to do some drilling but I think the Ford is a bolt on application. I have the manual fill and usually fill them when I need and then let the air out when I'm done. I have used the pay for air you see at some stations also. I think they are well worth the $$$$.

lwmcguir

On the 2005 you have to cut off one rivet and the rest is bolt on. Figure about 4 hours time to do it right. Mount the Air Compressor under the truck, much easier. Works well with a Fifth Wheel or GN hitch. There were some issues with some GN under bed mounting bars in the way. It is the way to go to level the truck.

MC9

Just call Truckspring.com 1-800-358-4751. I installed Air Lifts on my 2000 F250 years ago. When I got the 2008 F-250 I just moved them over. (over simplification) On the newer trucks, to keep from drilling, they mounted them in place of the bump stops. That put them inside the springs. I preferred the wider spacing of on top of the springs. They will sell you brackets that are altered to accommodate(?) the 5r brackets. I didn't get them, I used the standard brackets. You might have to drill to make it fit. Since I misplaced some of the u-bolts Truck Spring made me new ones the length I wanted. Nice people. I brought the fill lines out through the license plate in place of the upper bolts. I fill to about 40 lbs when I am towing and down to about 7 when I am not. Good Luck.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Installed a set of Firestone RideRites with an on board compressor mounted on the frame rail.
There are 2 different kits for your truck.
1 kit for those without a fifth wheel hitch, this kit mounts the airbags outside the frame with the bags mounted on top of the leaf spring pack.
The 2nd kit for those with 5th wheel hitches mounts the bags inside the frame. You remove the factory bump stops and mount the brackets so the bags sit on top of the axle.

I have the 2nd kit and it was quite easy to install. I found a spot to mount the compressor, drilled a couple holes to mount it and ran the power lines and the air lines. The kit also comes with a basic switch and analog air gauge to mount inside the truck which lets you inflate or deflate when you want.

FYI, the airbag kit for your truck is the Ride Rite 2400.
The Firestone standard duty air compressor kit is model 2158.
So about $540 total to have bags plus on board air.

wingfoot

deflate when you want.

FYI, the airbag kit for your truck is the Ride Rite 2400.
The Firestone standard duty air compressor kit is model 2158.
So about $540 total to have bags plus on board air.

Thanks for the info...but I believe the 2400 is for four wheel drive only. I have a 4X2.

On edit...you maybe right...one site I visited show the 2400 is for four-wheel application only..another states the 2400 is correct..go figure..guess it's time for some phone conversation.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Here's a screen shot depicting the 2398 Firestone RideRite air bags.Click on to enlarge:View attachment 18256
I can't read most of the time... I looked up the 2WD kit then posted the 4WD part number. The picture in the screenshot shows a kit without a 5th wheel. The kits for use with a 5th wheel hitch mount like this.On the inside of the frame rail rather than on top of the spring pack.

ride-ride-air-bags.jpg

Unless they've changed something recently, cause this is how mine is on the '07 with 5th wheel hitch.

wingfoot

I can't read most of the time... I looked up the 2WD kit then posted the 4WD part number. The picture in the screenshot shows a kit without a 5th wheel. The kits for use with a 5th wheel hitch mount like this.On the inside of the frame rail rather than on top of the spring pack.

ride-ride-air-bags.jpg

Thanks for the post...I am really curious..the 2398 is for a truck with or without a fifth-wheel hitch...I believe the 2398 is configured to adapt to the hitch frame bolts. I've looked at mine and all of the hitch mounting bolts are fore and aft of the axle..we'll just see when I get the kit..I really don't think it matters where you mount the system as long as it will work.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Youre going to like the bags. Remember after you install the air bags don't let anyone lift your truck off the ground by the frame as it can tear the bags. (they include a warning sticker) Use the jack under the axles.

wingfoot

OK...Got my Firestone RideRite air bags installed. I noticed when I put 10#(approximately) PSI in the bags it raised the rear of the truck about 2"...is that normal. Later today I'm going to take the truck to a level area and see if It's level.
And on a side note, what gauge do you guys use. I had to guess at the 10#. All my gauges will not register the required 5# empty...20# is the first increment, so I filled them below that level.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
10 psi on an empty truck will probably raise the truck a little. I wouldnt expect it to raise it 2 inches, But who knows. You only need 2.5 to 5 pounds in the bags when the truck has no load on it.

I am guessing you are filling them manually with what you are describing. I am not sure where you can get a gauge that reads that low, but it probably would only take like 1/10 of a second from a compressed air source to put 5 PSI in a empty bag.

You really should consider an onboard compressor set up. You will be much happier with them if you can adjust them on the fly, and the built in gauge with my kit reads all the way down to 0 psi.

camr

Wingfoot- pick up a tire guage for ATV tires. I got a Slime guage from Cabelas. It will register in one lb. increments.

Cam