Part 2 3 water heater questions

patrick1945

I cannot heat the water electrically and I do not have an ohm meter so I had someone pick up an 120 V 2000 W heating element. The original is 3" longer and 1440 Watts.

Are there issues with installing the shorter - higher wattage element??

Rickhansen

Patrick,
A 2000 watt element will draw 16.6 amps at 120v. As the voltage drops the current will increase beyond that. The breaker should be a 15-amp breaker, and the wiring is 14 AWG. You will trip the breaker, and if not you will overheat the wiring. It may exceed the current rating of the controls as well. Don't do it, get the right element.

Willym

You're correct on the Ohm's Law calculation for current (above what the designed circuit can handle) but not on the effect of lower voltage. Since the heater is a resistive load, lower voltage will mean lower current, not higher. For inductive loads (like motors and transformers) lower voltage can mean higher current draws. End of lesson:)

Patrick,
A 2000 watt element will draw 16.6 amps at 120v. As the voltage drops the current will increase beyond that. The breaker should be a 15-amp breaker, and the wiring is 14 AWG. You will trip the breaker, and if not you will overheat the wiring. It may exceed the current rating of the controls as well. Don't do it, get the right element.

Willym

If you're referring to my post, then you didn't read it fully. I was referring to the effect on current in a resistive load due to lower voltage. Read your link, it applies here.

Canadian supply voltage standards are the same as the US. Current of course varies with the load, voltage, and type of load in all countries.

It will draw too many amps. Link

I'm not sure about Canadan current though:confused: