Auto leveling and other add-ons on the BC

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The brochure I have for the Big Country doesn't list auto leveling as an option but I think I read somewhere that it could be added. How hard is it to add after a unit has left the factory?

More importantly, would it work with the little remote that comes with the Big Country?

Also, what about the power cord reel? Could that be added? I've thought that was a brilliant idea since the moment I saw it and was disappointed that it doesn't appear to be on the new 3690s.

~Alice

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Alice, I believe that auto leveling and the power cord reel can be added at the factory, and probably at a lower cost than after market. The cord reel can likely be added by your dealer but the Level Up must be installed by Lippert or one of their factory trained dealers.

Pappy

Alice,
We have a BC 3250 on order. We were also looking at the Auto Level for ours and the dealer/factory said they could install at the factory. We decided to go without. I do not know about the power cord reel...

PeternLiane

My wife loves her auto leveler. She sits at the picnic bench. I level the trailer. Then when I get it all level I tell her I'm done. She then says I love you and goes inside to get it ready inside. It was her cheapest leveling option. Ha Ha but true.

donr827

When we ordered our BH we added several options that do not show as options in the brochures. One of these was the 6 point leveling system. You can call customer service person at Heartland and they will be glad to give you the information on the off sheet options.
Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we ordered our BC 3650, we added the power reel cord as an option but elected not to get the Lippert LevelUp system. Instead, we put on the Rieco-Titan Wireless Ground Control Level System (http://www.riecotitan.com/groundcontrol.html). There are different opinions about leveling systems but this is the second coach we have put this system on, not having a bit of problems with it at all. It is a cheaper system and if you are mechanically incline, you can install it yourself.
The other thing we did was have the dealership add an electric awning on the living room slide. This made a huge different if you like being outdoors.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nathan,
I'm a big fan of the Ground Control system over the Level-Up, too, but don't some BC's have the front jacks mounted outside the front compartment walls, making it next to impossible to get to them?

Nabo

Can't answer your question for sure but almost all of the BC we have seen have the front jacks on the inside of the front compartment. We had a smaller BC, '08 BC 3250 which we got in 2007 and it had inside legs.

circusbear

Ours are mounted inside and John was awesome on my questions when installing the Reico-Titan. System works awesome and is by far the best upgrade I have done. Maybe takes 5 minutes to set the trailer up after unhooking from the truck. I highly recommend the Reico Titan system!!

B

bwwalczak

Just to clarify a few questions that were brought up:

Heartland CAN install 6-point hydraulic Level Up leveling when building a new coach. Aftermarket can be done through Lippert or an authorized instalation center.
Big Country mounts jacks outside the frame rails for better stability.
Big Country uses hydraulic front jacks standard - faster no snap jacks.
Ground Control systems are primarily 12V (not hydraulic). - not installed at our factory.
Power cord reels can be installed on many different Big Country models - this must be ordered before the coach is built. There are some new reel options coming available for aftermarket.

I hope this helps to clear up any questions.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
When we ordered our BC 3650, we added the power reel cord as an option but elected not to get the Lippert LevelUp system. Instead, we put on the Rieco-Titan Wireless Ground Control Level System (http://www.riecotitan.com/groundcontrol.html). There are different opinions about leveling systems but this is the second coach we have put this system on, not having a bit of problems with it at all. It is a cheaper system and if you are mechanically incline, you can install it yourself.
The other thing we did was have the dealership add an electric awning on the living room slide. This made a huge different if you like being outdoors.

Thanks Nabo, I'll look into that.

I believe the electric awning is standard on the Big Country when you get the big country package. Unless I'm missing something?

~Alice

Nabo

The coach comes with one electric awning but we added a second electric awning on the living room slide. It increased the covered outdoor area on the door side of the coach. Sorry but at this time I can not attach a picture showing the 2 awnings.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The coach comes with one electric awning but we added a second electric awning on the living room slide. It increased the covered outdoor area on the door side of the coach. Sorry but at this time I can not attach a picture showing the 2 awnings.

Oh, I think I get what you're saying. You had them add an awning to the back half of the coach. Sorry. The floorplan we just saw has the living room in the middle of the coach. You enter into the living room rather than the kitchen area so that's why I was confused.

That's not a half bad idea considering that we plan to get the one with the outdoor kitchen (which is at the back end of the coach.)

I'm sure we'll get the hang of awnings pretty quick, but does water just come right through the material that Heartland uses or does it mostly run off? I guess I'm wondering if that second awning would be something for use to look into considering the outdoor kitchen. Either way, the extra shade would be nice!

Thanks!

Nabo

The awning material doesn't wick but runs off because of the slope of the awning. Still can't get a picture uploaded. :(

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Definite YES on the 2nd awnings.......we don't have one, but we enjoy Terry's & Nathan's!! Cheaper too! :rolleyes:

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
View attachment 18304 Finally got a picture up for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That looks great. I see differing thoughts on awning use... how often do you have yours out do you think? Obviously you have the tie downs. Does the wind ever get rough enough that you untie the awnings and bring them in? Trying to decide if I should add tie downs to my list of goodies to get before we head out on our adventures. We're very much looking forward to sitting out under our awning and watching the world go by. I'd hate to have to make an extra trip to walmart. LOL

Alice

Nabo

We use the second awning just about everytime we go camping for 2 reasons - 1. extra seating/eating area that is covered; 2. sun block on the 2 big windows on the slide. Most of the time we don't have to use the tie-downs but the picture above was taken at the Edisto Beach State Park where the wind never dies down. We camp right on the beach with little sand dunes between us and the ocean so there is an easterly wind just about all the time.