Battery Tender or Shore Power

jhardin

I keep my BH stored in a barn at the house. Right now I have unit hooked up to shore power,with a progressive surge protector. Is it okay to use shore power at barn with surge protector or should I disconnect from shore power and use a battery tender? Thanks in advance. -Jerry-

PeternLiane

You'll be fine to use the shore power in the barn. Why waste the battery. Just check the battery regularly so it doesn't dry out.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Either one would work - really if all you are doing is keeping the batteries charged a Tender should work fine. I would consider installing a battery disconnect before using a battery tender.

PeternLiane

Either one would work - really if all you are doing is keeping the batteries charged a Tender should work fine. I would consider installing a battery disconnect before using a battery tender.

Very true, We have a battery disconnect. But since we don't keep it plugged into shore power all of the time we never use it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I leave mine plugged in to shore power whenever its stored. The built-in converter/charger does a better job than a battery tender.

CliffP

We haven't been RVing for too long and never had a battery disconnect. What are the reasons to use them? Thought they protected the battery from being drained, are they also to protect it from being overcharged when plugged into shore power for extended times?

branson4020

Icantre Member
We haven't been RVing for too long and never had a battery disconnect. What are the reasons to use them? Thought they protected the battery from being drained, are they also to protect it from being overcharged when plugged into shore power for extended times?

It is only to prevent parasitic loads in the RV from draining the battery while it is stored and not connected to shore power. It doesn't have anything to do with overcharging. Anyway, with modern 3-stage chargers built-in to these rigs, overcharging isn't a problem

brianharrison

It is only to prevent parasitic loads in the RV from draining the battery while it is stored and not connected to shore power. It doesn't have anything to do with overcharging. Anyway, with modern 3-stage chargers built-in to these rigs, overcharging isn't a problem

Bob, I am not 100% sure but I believe the charger in the OP's unit (BH) may be the PD9160A. It is an automatic charger as installed, however without the optional charge wizard pendant, it is only a "2 stage charger" (constant current ramping up to 13.6V; then reducing current to maintain the 13.6V). There is no Float or Storage step (ie lower voltage at 13.2V). With the pendant it is turned into a 4 stage charger (with float/storage and desulfation/equalize (14.4V for 15 min every 21 hours).

Landmark has the PD9200 (OEM) which is a 4 stage charger. More info in HOM. Link to HOM.

As a side note, turning off the battery disconnect on my unit prevents the converter from charging the batteries when on shore power. I believe it is the same on LM/BH/BC --> Link to Bus bar and Disconnect

Take care,
Brian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We normally leave the rig plugged into a 30 amp outlet but I think a Battery Tender would work just as well. Maybe save a little wear & tear on the converter? Just my thoughts. I've used a Battery Tender for years with no issues on bikes, boats, tractors and other equipment.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I believe a battery tender is the best choice by far (safer than a converter).... i've seen the converters overcharge and shorten the life of your batteries in storage. I use these 2 amp $20 tender's everywhere, cars, lawn tractor, RV, truck. link

SilverRhino

When I have the BC in storage I disconnect the battery from the coach circuit and place it on a Battery Tender Plus to maintain the battery. I have "stored" batteries for other applications the same way with good results. Just my way of doing it.....