DIY 50 Amp (or less) Park Pedestal Tester

wdk450

Esteemed HOG's: (Sounds like a banquet dish)

After recent maintenance expenses, and the upcoming fuels and park charges for all of the rally trips I am doing this spring/summer, I am finding it hard to budget in a Progressive Electrical Management System (Surge/Dip/Spike protector) at present. I have never checked the shore power supply before plugging in, but maybe it is time I start doing this until I get an EMS to protect the trailer appliances and wiring. I recently came across this DIY 50 amp tester on the internet, which can (of course) be adapted down to 30 amp and 15 amp outlets. You can also add a sizeable electrical load (portable hair dryer or portable electric heater) to the 2nd outlet on each phase to check supply wiring quality, by seeing how much the indicated voltage dips upon loading. This box WILL check for an intact neutral on 50 amp feeds (a broken neutral on a 50 amp feed delivers 240 volts to your appliances), it also checks that grounding is present, but does not check the quality of the grounding connection.
The author said it could be built for about $50 with supplies from Lowes/Home Depot. I know that you can get the 120 volt meter at most RV supply stores, the outlet testers and the circuit tester can be obtained at a number of economy sources (WalMart, 99 cent stores). The 50 amp RV plug might be harder to get - RV stores or hardware (Home Depot wants $45, Lowes wants $15). 4 wire, 12 guage flex cable would be nice, but might be hard to find. 2 lengths of common 3 wire, 12 gauge flex cable could be used in paralell, not terminating the unneeded duplicate wires.

Here is the link: http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

57chevyconvt

Re: DIY 50 Amp (or less) Park Pedistal Tester

Bill,
I recently purchased a used 30 amp. plug-in Progressive EMS off of Ebay for $60.00. If you can find such a deal on Ebay, I would personal go for the real thing that is going to continually monitor the incoming condition of input power at the post. I have all the ingredients for making such a testing device that you noted on the link. I believe the total cost of the components will be in excess of $40.00. Prior to acquiring the Progressive EMS, I used an 30 to 15 amp plug-in adapter and one of the Harbor Freight outlet testers for checking polarity and grounding. I also used a small test meter to check the voltage at the 15 amp side of the adapter. I have a plug in volt meter such as is shown on the link to that is plugged into an outlet inside the trailer so that I can monitor the voltage as power is consumed by users so that I don't over load the available incoming power and get into a low voltage situation. Just some more thoughts. Thanks for the link, and interesting concept. If you make-up one of these testers that is so noted in the link, I would like to know your cost and thoughts on the end product.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We had our power "cut off" for about 5 min this weekend at a park. I think it was the EMS saving us from low power. The rig was not under heavy load, and the park was emptying (Sunday morning).

Well worth the $$$

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

You can test the pedestal and find it OK, but a surge or low voltage condition after you've tested it will not be good for your rig. Bite the bullet and get the suppressor.

DougS

Doug S

I made that same tester about 4 years ago. I usually only use it if I am tring to find a problem and this tool can eliminate a problem with the pedestal. But like others have said, a surge protector is an important addition and I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

SilverRhino

As others have said, checking the pedestal is only part of the equation. I test the pedestal with a multi meter when we first pull into a site, after that it will be up to the EMS to continue monitoring for potential problems.

Like DougS.....I too cannot believe that I waited so long to install one. One less thing to worry about as we start to increase our time traveling in the BC.

Travel Safe!

wdk450

OK, I can get some 30 amp protection for less than $50. I normally use the 50 amp service whenever possible. Should I spend the money on the 30 amp and use adapters, or wait and spend the $375 for the full blown Progressive 50 amp EMS???

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I would definitely wait and get the EMS 50amp.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Gaffer

About the same price as a couple of tanks of diesel. Go for it. You won't be sorry. Had mine trip out on low voltage at a new park with excellent electrical service. Problem was likely on the utility side as others had the same experience on the other side of the park and they were on different utility transformers.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

wdk450

wildwolfproducts

OK, I can get some 30 amp protection for less than $50. I normally use the 50 amp service whenever possible. Should I spend the money on the 30 amp and use adapters, or wait and spend the $375 for the full blown Progressive 50 amp EMS???

Was thinking about getting the one from Heartland added at the factory. But don't want the whole package. so how hard are these to add to a Key Largo?
Pete

Last edited:

codycarver

The wiring is simple, 4 wires (5 if you include the remote) and easy to follow instructions. The hard part is contorting yourself to get to where you want to mount it. Also, if your not used to working with 6 gauge wire it can be a pain.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Mount it where you can get at it and is out of danger from potential water leaks. Run a length of #6 cable from the breaker panel to the mount location after disconnecting the shore power line from there (replacing it with the length of #6). Connect the shore power line to the input side and the other section of cable to the output side leading to the breaker panel. Working with #6 wire in tight space is tricky, but made easier if you look at how the internal connections are made and pre-bend the end of the wire some to get it into the screw-clamp fittings.

While you're at it, take a look at where your converter is mounted and move it to a safer, more accessible location, too. Directly under the anti-siphon valve for the tank flusher with the fan against the wall is neither.

codycarver

Short of mounting it in the basement or taking the whole wall down I don't see how you can do it without contorting. However, this CAN be a benefit if you have a sympathetic wife;)