Safety Inspections... Fellow Texans

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
While doing some preventative maintenance yesterday on our trailer, I noticed that we are "due" to have the annual safety inspection performed. I also noticed that the other 22 trailers kept at the storage facility were all "Over" due. It looked as though they had a sticker for the year the trailer was purchased and never done again. Am I the only one having this done annually? I would think there might be some insurance liabilities and or potential vehicle violation if pulled over. What's up with this? What are ya'll doin? :confused:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bret, you are talking about the inspection sticker located on the side or window, near the front of the rig? It's supposed to be done yearly in Texas, and yes we try to keep ours up-to-date. It may just be a Texas thang, as I quizzed the forum last year, and some other states do not have this requirement. You also have to have this inspection done at a facility that is licensed to inspect trailers. Not all car/truck inspection places can do it. I think they check your lights and that your brakes are working properly, your break-away cable works, and I can't remember what else.

Ours is due in April. We'll do it, for safety sake and because we do most of our traveling throughout Texas.

57chevyconvt

Bret,
I have my BH inspected on an annual basis for the reasons that you noted. The folks at the RV dealer where I have my trailer inspected said the DPS is starting to pay more attention to RV inspections in recent times. A call to the DPS office would probably be a good ideas just to see what they would do in the way of ticketing an out of date inspection. Just called the local DPS office and they said that anything over 4,500 GVW requires an annual inspection. The trooper said that if you are involved in an accident that was or wasn't your fault, you could be ticketed for an out of date inspection and that there would probably be some repercussion from the insurance company in making payment of a claim. The trooper also noted that if you drive a Motorhome in Texas that is over 26,000 GVW, you will need a class 'B' drivers license, that was news to me.

danemayer

I have mine inspected annually. It's inexpensive and only takes a few minutes. When we leave the state park we're in this week, I plan to swing by the dealer for this year's sticker. It's a slight detour on the way home.

The DPS trooper's comment about Class B for Motorhomes >26,000# in Texas is not correct. Here's the relevant info from "A Texas Motor Carriers Guide to Highway Safety" which is distributed by DPS. The language parallels the language of the actual statute. But it's not surprising that DPS screws this up because most of their publications use ambiguous and confusing language on this requirement.

Persons Exempted from Texas CDL requirements (TRC 522.004)
Farmer/Rancher or his employee operating a vehicle that would be classified as a CMV and is:
o Controlled and operated by a farmer or his employee;
o Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery or farm supplies to and from a farm
o Not used in the operation of a contract or common carrier; and
o Used within 150 air miles of the person's farm or ranch.
Persons operating firefighting or emergency vehicles necessary for the preservation of life and property.
Military personnel operating military vehicles.
Persons operating recreational vehicles for personal use. (highlighting added)

Btw, this is true for many states, but not for all. Some like California, have more restrictive laws. And no, just because you have a class C license in TX, and TX is more lenient, that doesn't mean California will grant you a waiver on California laws.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Dan if you are from Texas and have a valid DL you do not have to have a CDL in a state that requires their residents to have one. If your state requires it then you should have one. If I am driving in CA with a valid TN license then they can not ticket me for not having a CDL in their state.

tmcran

I called Texas DPS RE Inspection sticker on RV. Trooper said he has never given a ticket for not having an inspection sticker on an RV in 15 yrs.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
In Mass - There is no official Trailer inspection and sticker. But, If you tow a trailer and it does not have 100% of the factory safety equipment in working condition you can and will get a ticket - and depending on what the safety violation is - you could have the rig impounded. Although, even with non working brakes they would more than likely allow you to tow off the Highway to a safe spot to remedy the issue. I have only once been flagged into an inspection station on the highway in MA ( that is over 15 years of towing ) and of course I passed ...

Kevin

danemayer

Dan if you are from Texas and have a valid DL you do not have to have a CDL in a state that requires their residents to have one. If your state requires it then you should have one. If I am driving in CA with a valid TN license then they can not ticket me for not having a CDL in their state.

Lee,

I don't think I can believe that reciprocity waives California's more restrictive laws for you if Tennessee has less restrictive laws. For one thing, I don't see how a trooper would know the laws of other states, so it would have to be a blanket exemption for all out-of-state licenses. California would have to have made a bizarre decision that in order to improve highway safety, they require something extra of their residents, while giving non-residents a pass.

If you are stopped, doesn't it seem more likely that the trooper will simply inform you that California laws apply to residents and non-residents and that your TN license doesn't grant you anything more that the equivalent license issued by California and that since California requires a Class A or B license, you'll need to show a Class A or B?

As you can tell, my understanding of reciprocity is narrower than yours. But maybe I'm wrong. Can you explain how you came to the understanding that you have?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I would tend to side with reciprocity in this case. Although I do see your point. If I am licensed to drive a motorcycle in Mass - I am licensed to drive a motorcycle in any state, regardless of the local state rules to obtain a license and operate a Motorcycle in that state. Some States do not require any formal training to obtain a Motor Cycle License and some do.

Cars sold in mass could not be sold in CA because they do not meet the stricter Emissions standards for CA - that does not prevent me from driving my Car in CA.

I think to get a real and confirmed answer we would need to ask the RMV in CA. I was unable to find the answer on there web site.

Kevin

57chevyconvt

Dan,
I thought at the time when the trooper here in Victoria said that drivers of Motorhomes >26k had to have a CDL was a stretch. I didn't question the trooper's statement but sure glad that you clarified the requirement. I know quite a few folks in my area that have large Motorhomes that only have a class 'C' license.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
To answer the question about an out of state driver's license being valid in California.

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state driver license is valid.

Copied from the State of California Driver's Handbook.

olcoon

I've been retired from law enforcement for a couple of years, and before retirement it had been several years since I worked traffic. But I can tell you that when I did work traffic, to my knowledge all 50 (or was it 57;)) states had a reciprocity agreements where they honored the other states licenseing laws, whether it was on the vehicle or the drivers license. Here in MO, trucks are licensed by the weight-6,000, 12,000, 18,000, etc. below 18,000 you are issued 2 license plates, one for the front & one for the rear. Trucks that are licensed 18,000 and above are only given 1 license plate and it must be put on the front. So far I haven't been stopped because of this, but I'm waiting. Also 5th wheel trailers can have a permant tag that is only good for that trailer while you own it, so if we get another 5er we'll have to get a new tag.

Some law enforcement agencies give their officers a booklet with each states licenseing information yearly, some officers obtain their own. If an officer doesn't have that info in the car with him, he can always radio the dispatcher and have them obtain the info either from their own state's highway patrol, or call the state in question to get the information.

jtwhites85

When we bought our RV I immediately noticed an inspection sticker on the side of the pin box. I asked the dealer about it and they told me it was in fact a law in Texas but little enforcement was being done. Apparently some agencies are more aware of the law and dealers are trying to comply but it is a 50-50 shot if you got pulled over that the officer would say anything about it. I think in many ways it may be a pain keeping it up to date but after seeing some of the trailers being towed down the highway it might not be too bad of an idea.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Dane just think about it if a person had to adhere to the different laws in each state there would be a universal license. HarleyRider said it best by copying the statement out of the California book. I have also talked to the Department of Safety here in Tennessee and that is the same statement they put out. In order to have to adhere to their laws on licensing you have to be a resident in that state. This is not saying that you can break laws but your home state sets the requirements on obtaining a license in that particular state.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Having spent some time working in the Virginia DMV TRYINGto help improve their automated systems, I can attest to the fact that all 50 states and the District of Columbia recognize reciprocity for driver's licenses and vehicle licensing requirements for the driver's and vehicle's home of residency for TRANSITING/VISITING drivers/vehicles. Where people often "screw-up" is trying to stretch the transiting rules. For instance, in VA you have 30 days to acquire a new driver's license and license plates after establishing residency here. But I see 100's (or more) of people knowingly and unknowingly stretching that to six months or more or until their current license expires.

fawsty

People here are correct....If you are PROPERLY licensed to operate the vehicle you are doing so in, in your state, then you are legal in California. The differences are minor, but there are laws here you still have to follow, like the helmet law for motorcycles. If towing, the speed limit is 55 MPH, PERIOD. Also, you must stay in the slow lane except to pass or avoid a collision, same as big rigs. These are just a few of the common ones I have seen over the years. The laws of the state have to be followed, but the license part is good to go.

Steven

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have not see it defined where it says a pickup truck (1 ton or smaller) towing a trailer is considered a big rig (semi-tractor trailer). There is a huge difference in weight and size. Most big rigs have 18 wheels, a trailer that is 52 feet long and a weight of at least 80000 pounds. I have seen some signs that specify RVs must do such and such. But a pickup truck towing a trailer (even though it is a 5th wheel it is still a trailer) is not considered a big rig. Now if you read the transportation code you might be able to find otherwise but not the Texas transportation code.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
In California, it is not the size of the rig but if you are towing.

The maximum speed limit in California is 55 miles per hour (mph) for the following listed vehicles (CVC §22406):
Speed%20Limit%2055.gif

• Any truck or truck tractor having three or more axles.
  • Any vehicle pulling any other vehicle.
  • A school bus transporting any pupil.
  • A farm labor vehicle transporting passengers.
  • Any vehicle transporting explosives.
  • A trailer bus.
Copied from the Commercial Drivers Handbook. Note that it states towing any other vehicle. Also note that a two axle truck of any size can drive at a posted speed above 55 MPH.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In California, it is not the size of the rig but if you are towing.

The maximum speed limit in California is 55 miles per hour (mph) for the following listed vehicles (CVC §22406):
Speed%20Limit%2055.gif

• Any truck or truck tractor having three or more axles.
  • Any vehicle pulling any other vehicle.
  • A school bus transporting any pupil.
  • A farm labor vehicle transporting passengers.
  • Any vehicle transporting explosives.
  • A trailer bus.
Copied from the Commercial Drivers Handbook. Note that it states towing any other vehicle. Also note that a two axle truck of any size can drive at a posted speed above 55 MPH.

That was quoted from the Commercial Drivers Handbook. Most RVers are not commercial vehicles therefore commercial laws do not apply to them.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Point taken on RVers not being commercial vehicles. I was quoting from the commercial handbook. Below is the quote from the California Vehicle Code.

Towing – A RV is permitted to tow a trailer or other vehicle, but shall adhere to the following laws:
  • Speed: 22406(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall not travel at a speed greater than 55 miles-per-hour
  • Designated Lanes: 21655(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall drive in the right lane, unless passing, preparing to make a turn or while entering or exiting a highway. When a highway has four or more lanes, a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall use the two right lanes.