DRW or not DRW

mesteve

So, it is getting to be truck upgrade time. I am eyeballing a new F350 DRW as I would like to move up into a TH from our current Sundance. I know the haulers I am looking at suggest going with the DRW, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger on this combo because of the extra width getting around town.

My concern is this will be a daily driver. Those that currently or have previously and gone back to SRW, what are your thoughts on having a DRW as a daily driver.

Also, how are DRWs off-road, nothing too serious and not talking mud or anything, but this is Montana and I am willing to try out the 4WD on a regular basis.

Urban350

I have had both and would not go back to a DRW if at all possible just for the off road reasons that you have mentioned (they are terrible in mud and snow). That being said now that I have a toy-hauler if I had gone any bigger it would also mean a dually for me. I did not mind driving the dually around town as the truck is no wider then the mirrors are, on either DRW or SRW.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 1 ton SRW pulling our BC. It is a truck that is also used daily as Byrd drives it back/forth to work. We haven't had any problems with the truck pulling our new '12 BC 3650. There are more folks on this forum that like the dually but as a everyday vehicle other than a weekend warrior makes better since for us. Plus it's e-z to park in those b-z parking lots.

Birchwood

We all know the dually is a big rig hauler but we also like a car(SRW) to drive around town.For the first
time I seen a Ford 450 SRW at the beach and thought maybe that would be the answer if the ride
was acceptable.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I've pulled our Bighorn with both and wouldn't go back to the SRW. Much more relaxing towing with the DRW. I was also surprised at how maneuverable around town/parking it is, much better than my Dodge. I don't use either of them "off road" so I can't offer an opinion on that.

caissiel

If the F350 SRW has the same springs as a F250 like I have, the spring pack causes stability problems. I added 2 additional plies on each side of my F250 SRW and its very stabil. And with the extra 2 plies I have the same spring package I had on my previous 2500 GM. These Fords are designed for ride comfort and as I was observing the 2013 Friday, they have no springs to haul any weight. The DRW's do have added packs that make them stabil. I to am very much in favor of a SRW but the spring packs are to soft and need to be addressed.
A friend of mine traded to a SRW from a DRW after his tire rep told him if you get a flat on one of the duals you need to change both tires because the other tire has been overloaded enough to cause damage. So to me it makes sence as I did have an other friend that kept getting tire problems in the rear, after one tire went down with a load.
I was just talking to a friend and he told me that farmer could not find 3/4 tons capable to be loaded as the previous ones. This assures me that ride quality wins over capacity. So springs are a problem with SRWs.

Last edited:

aatauses

We have a Bh 3670 and pull with a Chev 3500 DRW. We enjoy the stability of the dually. We are full timers, so this is our only vehicle. It does ride rough on gravel roads, but we are ok with that because of the nice ride we get when pulling.
Around town, we never have much of a problem with width, just park a little further from the store entrance!!
al

SilverRhino

I have towed with both SRW and DRW and definitley prefer the stability of the DRW. Mine is a daily driver and I have no problems driving it around town......Even have to park in a hospital parking garage every morning when I go to the gym to work out.

The DRW is not great for off road.....too wide and too long......but that is also true of most of the SRW pick ups used for towing larger trailers. These are just my observations.

Travel Safe!

porthole

Retired
Pulled our cyclone with a srw and now a drw. I also use the truck as a daily. If I had a choice I would prefer a short srw. I would not go back to a srw with a heavy trailer. I've driven the truck in deep snow (2') and it was not as good as my GMC srw. But, my GMC wasn't anywhere near as good as my old dodge power wagon "sno commander"

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
C'mon now - just because dodge started making PW's when you were knee high to a grasshopper doesnt mean I'm that old!

FordMan1966

I have towed with F250 and F350 SRW and finally went with the 2011 F350 DRW PSD last summer and would not go back to a SRW. The DRW is so much more stable towing and I need it now picking up the 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon on Thursday. Mine is not a daily driver but is really no harder to park you have to park at the end of the parking lot anyway.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My DRW is my daily driver and in and around Dallas and Ft Worth, so lots of traffic. I'm also the main one that does the shopping as the DW would spend way too much if she went. So it regularly sees the grocery store and in town a lot.

The only places that give me any trouble are the real small Sonic drive thrus with the sharp u-turn and weird speaker/menu placement. I think they were built for a Tricycles turning radius.

I ordered a new rear air suspension setup to hopefully tame the harsher ride of a 1ton truck and put it in 1/2 ton truck ride quality.

I still have both SRW and DRW and like others have mentioned...once you go 6 wheel for heavy towing you won't go back.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I drive my DRW as my daily ride. No problem in parking lots, I just don't pull in, but back in. And don't take the spots next to the door. Drive-thru ATM's are only a problem because they put the machines at skate-board level.

MTPockets

Maybe it depends on how big you plan to tow.... My F350 SRW Crew Short bed is great with the 3055RL Big Horn. I would have gone DRW had we gone any larger, but picked the 3055 as we did not want the DRW.

ihsolutions

I towed two different fifth wheels, including my current BH 3670, for nearly two years with a SRW 2500HD truck that I purchased new in 2003.

As much as I loved that truck, our plan for longer trips necessitated a move up to the current DRW truck.

I can't speak to the Ford, but my 2012 DRW rides 100x better (empty or loaded) than that 2500 SRW truck ever did. The progressive springs in the back make a huge difference. The stiffness of the frame, better suspension, etc all contribute to a much better "around-town" driving experience, so much so that I'd consider using it as a daily driver if I ever had the need.

I can't speak to off-road for this truck, as it will never see any dirt or snow as long as I own it.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I went from a F250 short bed SRW PSD to a F350 long bed DRW PSD and I like the DRW better because of towing capacity, towing stability and peace of mind. I needed a bigger truck when we got the 2012 Key Largo. I drive my DRW every day and have just accepted that the front door parking lot spaces are not for me anymore. I loved my F250 and love my F350 as much. It's a choice you have to make depending on what you will be towing. Ken

noobee

Initially, I had a Ford SRW. I upgraded to a Dodge DRW. There is a big improvement in handling especially in windy conditions. This is my daily use vehicle & it was never been a problem.

1231ChaseB

SRW's are OK but the fact of the matter is that peace of mind is worth a lot ! The DRW's will give you that ! JMHO !!!
chaseb

bill40

As you can see lots of opinions, I'm in the DRW group. After several trips across country and the the wind gusts in our western states no srw for me. I too old for off roading and don't like getting that much mud on my truck. In the snow I just fill my water bladders from the boat and it goes in the snow. My son tells me the new 2012 GM's really ride nice. never noticed mine didn't.