Black Streaks

tstammer

tstammer
I need some help on the black streaks caused by the gutters. I did put extensions on but cannot seem to keep the black line from the roof to the bottom of the rig. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I also need advice on washing and waxing the BigHorn what products are you guys using.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The black streaks are a problem on our Landmark also.I also have the gutter extensions. I use Simple Green to wash our unit and the streaks come off without any problem.

K

Ken Washington

The best thing you can do is wash the top and keep it clean. In short, no dirt on top, no black streaks!

Ken

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use Zip wash to wash the trailer and any decent bottled polish on the front cap. That makes the bugs a little easier to remove. I have the extenders and still get some streaks but not too bad. The zip wash takes them off OK. I was using simple green but I felt that it also removes any wax I put on. Simple green is some great stuff though and if your streaks are stubborn, use it and let it soak in for a bit. It also works good on cleaning the trim sealant.

navyAZ1

We found some stuff at the "Dollar Tree" store called "Awesome Orange" spray it on and the black streaks wipe off like dust. We even tried it on my friends aluminum sided camper made it look like new.

tdharley

Ken has the best advise, keep the top clean. I did mine last week and it made a big difference. We used the AC all week due to 90 degree days and no streaks.

Watch what you use on the sides. I use a diluted simple green. Some products will damage the finish

jbeletti

Just spent the entire day washing the outside of the trailer. Started with the roof and used powdered Spic-N-Span and a little Dawn liquid detergent.

Good news is the roof is clean (as clean as it gets anyway). Bad news is that the Spic-N-Span leaves a chalky residue where it over-tops the roof, down onto the sides and windows of the trailer.

Think I'll try something else next Spring.

Then I washed the front the front and rear caps and the sides and slides. I used some Thetford RV wash (liquid). Made the mistake of adding just a little bit of Calgon powdered water softener. I don't know what I was thinking. Talk about leaving chalky streaks and spotted windows! Didn't notice until I was a couple hours into it. Ended up redoing that half of the trailer with just the Thetford liquid.

Well, the unit is pretty clean. May clean the windows inside and out next weekend. So much for R&R at the trailer :)

Jim

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
an inexpensive gutter extension are the big plastic cloths pegs from a dollar store. I have used them for a few years now (white) and are easy to put on and replace anytime.
Rand

Princess Kathleen

We have only washed the Luv Shak once...cleaned the hub during love bug seanson...and we have never had black streaks....so, to stop all the labor....do a paint job

PK