Flushing Scale From Water Heater

SilverRhino

I have been using a hose nozzle that has a rubber collar to flush the "scale" from my water heater. It fits into the threaded opening for the anode rod and seems to do a fair job of flushing out the tank.

Not wanting to take the easy way out and purchase a ready made water heater "flushing device" I decided to make my own. While cleaning up in the garage I found just the things needed for this project. I had an old piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a cap on one end, this would make the "wand" of my unit. Digging through some old pipe fittings I found a copper adapter that would go on the end of the pipe opposite the cap. The adapter went from 1/2" copper pipe to 1/2" MPT. To this I attached a PVC ball valve that had 1/2" FPT on both ends. Next came a 1/2" MPT to FHT adapter, which will allow me to hook the unit up to my hose. The pipe is 20 inches in length, which should allow me to reach all the way into the tank.

On the capped end of the pipe I will drill holes, starting with 4 equally spaced around the pipe. I plan on starting with 1/16th " holes and then working up as needed, until I get the spray that works the best. The holes will be drilled just behing the cap on the end of the pipe.

Since I do not have the trailer at home, I have not yet been able to use my new "Flush Wand"

Attachments

• wh1.jpg
    wh1.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 75
  • wh3.jpg
    wh3.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 71
  • wh4.jpg
    wh4.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 73
  • wh5.jpg
    wh5.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 65

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice work Randy! Like you, I made my own device but used flexible tubing and just bent the end down to direct the spray. Seems to work great. Now that I think about it, mine is due for flushing and anode checking. :eek:

ihsolutions

Wow, I didn't realize the water tank was that deep inside. 20"! I did mine last week and used one of those fresh water fill tank hose things that goes on the end of a hose and has a shutoff valve on it. It's only about 6" long but seemed to do a pretty good job.

It takes repeated flushes to get that last bit of sediment from below the lip of the drain plug hole. No matter how many times I did it, there was always a little bit left at the bottom when it had finished draining.

I like your idea Randy, thanks for taking the time to diagram and post the pics!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Randy,

When you drill the holes you may want to consider drilling them at a slight angel so the flow of water is back toward the shutoff valve to aid in directing the sediment to the opening. Just a thought. Nice work - I may very well copy.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
You guys are much to industrious for me...I just bought one of these! Looks like yours is better though!

rinser.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hmmm. That might also be good made of PVC pipe. That would allow for some sharp rearward angles on the spray tip, as Kevin suggested.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Seriously? Guys, those already made ones are under $10. Great job with leftover stuff though, Ray would do the same, even though I could bring one home from work... LOL :) In fact, I think I won't tell him about this post....LOL