Did I Fry My Aerial Antenna??

frumbawa

This past weekend, I was going through all of my coax connections trying to track down where I had direct feed for satellite and where I didn't. Things were going well until I got to the hookup in the bedroom where the satellite out is also part of the antenna applifier. No signal there. So after a little bit of head scratching, I decided pull the amplifier and see what's going on. While I will leave this for another discussion, there was no cable hooked up to to the satellite output and no cable to be found anywhere in the ceiling. Frustrating. But to my question ....

While pulling down the plate, a couple of the coax cable connectors came off their cables. This is not common right? OK, I can fix those but in the process of redoing the connectors, I accidently arced the 12v power wire against one of the connectors and it sparked just a little. OK, never thought about shutting the power off. Now after putting everything back to together, with amp on I only get a week signal to the bedroom TV and nothing at all in living room. I even went and bought a new amplifier plate and no difference.

Could I have fried the antenna itself?

Frank

danemayer

First, I'm assuming when you say you replaced the amplifier plate, you mean you replaced the amplifier circuit board that all the coax connectors hook up to. I would think that's the thing most likely to get fried.

I may be wrong, but I think the roof antenna is passive, so I doubt you can fry them with 12V.

Other things to check:

1. Make sure you have the coax connectors connected to the right connectors on the amplifier. If they came off, it would be easy to hook them up wrong. For example, if the antenna wire is not connected to the amplifier input connector, you would not get much of a signal.
2. Make sure when you redid the coax connectors that you made a good connection.
3. If none of these things help. verify that your TV is still working correctly by hooking up rabbit ears as an antenna, or by hooking up CableTV, or by hooking your internal wires to a different TV. I don't know for sure if the 12V could damage your TV circuitry, but it's a possibility.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Probably you blew a 12 volt fuse. Check the fuses in the 12 volt fuse panel. It probably occurred when you saw the spark.

frumbawa

Thanks for the tips guys, especially about the fuse. Didn't think about that.

Have a great weekend.

Frank