installing propane catalitic heater in new rv

parkhurst

Has anyone out there installed a catalitic heater in their rv??? We recently just purchased a 34 ft bighorn model 3070rl and I want to put in a catalitic heater near the island. I want to know if I drill straight down near the existing heater vent will I run into wiring ect.? With the closed undercarriage you can't see what you ae getting into. Please help. ( i am thinking the installation would be on the curb side of that center islel.) Any help would be appreciated..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Parkhurst, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.
If you want to know what is below your floor, just drop the underbelly and have a look. Maybe just remove a few screws on one side and peek in. All floor plans differ.
While I am sure someone has installed a catalytic heater in their coach, it would not be for me for safety concerns.
Just curious, why would you want to do that versus the built in furnace or an electric heater?

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A propane fired catalytic heater in an unventilated, enclosed space sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Wharton

We, and many others, have used one for years with no problems whatever. You need to crack a window for ventilation. Why we use one:

1) they are quiet, unlike the furnace
2) they don't use electricity(great when boondocking)
3) they produce a lot more heat than an electric heater
4) we use it as a supplementary, not primary heat
5) we only use it when we are in the trailer and awake
6) cats love it!!!!

Our dealer tapped ours off of the propane line to the range and we use a quick connect from the cat heater to the line. I think we had the hose made special but not sure(think we just went to a welding supplier)

Unless you buy one from Camping World they mostly don't work over 5000'.

I find they are in fairly common usage among boondockers and fulltimers.