Safe to Use 50 to 30 Adapter?

Bruce11

Is it safe to use a convertor for 30 amps if camping where 50 amps is not an option? We will camp in a 2012 Sundance 3200.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Re: amps

No problem - we have done several times. Depending on the adapter you use you may power only one of the 2 circuits. About 4 years ago we had an adapter that used 2 legs to go into a 30a and 20a circuits - BAD MOVE. I now have a proper adapter that powers both circuits. There are some limits on how many devices you can plug in but that shows up pretty quick and you can "adjust".

Travel safe

57chevyconvt

I have a 30 amp female to 50 amp - 25 ft. extension cord that I purchased off the Internet. Sure a lot easier to handle than the 50 amp extension cord. As previously stated, can only run 1 A/C unit plus the rest of the RV.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have a 30 amp female to 50 amp - 25 ft. extension cord that I purchased off the Internet. Sure a lot easier to handle than the 50 amp extension cord. As previously stated, can only run 1 A/C unit plus the rest of the RV.

I second this - I use the same configuration when hooking up to 30amp. In the winter I convert down to 20 amp to keep the Rig minimally powered and the Batteries tended.

MTPockets

When using the adapters you will at some time pop a breaker due to overload, but it's not an issue, just turn off the extra power (hair dryer, heater, or whatever) and turn the breaker back on and your off and running again. We've used adapter from 50 to 30 to 20 and while making coffee with some lights on, the wife turned on the hair dryer and everything shut down.... turn off one of the appliances, flip the breaker and back in business. - (coffee had to wait 'til hair was dry)